I Am A Product Of A Single Mother And This Is What I Want All Single Moms To Know

We aren't looking for perfection, just effort.

1521
Bailee Padgett / Facebook

It matters. Everything you are currently doing as a mom, matters. I do not care if your kid is three or thirty. What you do during this season affects more than just the right now. My parents were married for 18 years and then divorced, but my biological dad was never around even during the marriage so my mom had to do more than what a wife was expected to do.

I watched as my mom carried more than what was intended for her. I honor her for her hard work.

As a kid, I didn’t realize the weight that was put on my mom to raise me and my sister. But now, as an adult, I can look back and I am amazed at my mom’s grace and perseverance. I am telling you now, single moms, that even though you think your kids aren't paying attention, you need to realize that one day everything you are doing will become a memory. It is your choices today that will make a great memory or it will make a heartbreaking memory for your kids.

I want to encourage the single moms that everything you do matters.

This is not pressure for you to be perfect, but it is encouragement — because everything you do has a reason and a purpose. Nothing is wasted. You may not see the instant reward of your diligence and hard-work, but there will be a day when you will realize that everything you ever did will be honored. So in the meantime, I want to honor you, because, in my opinion, any single parent is worth honoring.

This is what I noticed about my mom growing up and I can almost guarantee your kids notice too:

1. I noticed how she was at every single sports event, award, and anything that I was involved in.

2. I noticed the late nights she got home, because she was working to make two incomes.

3. I also noticed when she would come home early just to spend time with me.

4. I noticed every meal that she cooked.

5. I noticed her consistency as a mom. She remained constant, even when our world felt like it was falling apart.

6. I noticed her strength. I knew how many times I had broken down about the divorce, but I can't ever remember her crying in front of me.

7. I noticed when she let me go places, knowing that it meant she had to stay alone for the night.

8. I noticed that she didn't use her singleness as a time to date around, but a time to focus on me and herself.

9. I noticed her selflessness. She probably needed the most help, but she still put many others before herself.

10. But most importantly, I saw as she led our household spiritually. She never became distant from her faith. And I believe that is the secret to successful parenting as a single mom.

So, as kids, we may never say thank you or mention all of your good deeds, but we notice. Don't give up, because what you do matters.