What Should Be The Role of Family during Rehabilitation of Relatives Suffering from Illness?

The essence of the "Family" goes beyond DNA and last names to love and commitment. And when all else fails, family stays.

6
safehouse.co.in
safehouse.co.in

The essence of the "Family" goes beyond DNA and last names to love and commitment. And when all else fails, family stays. So even on days that you struggle to love yourself, 'team home' will root for you!

When a family member suffers from any mental or physical illness, they go through emotional turmoil. Patients at a rehabilitation center who are addicted to substances detrimental to health have a tough time quitting the substance. During such times, the family members and their loved ones also deal with tremendous amounts of stress. But the patient at a rehab needs the support of their family more than anything else.

Thus, a family plays a vital role in the treatment of the patient. Some rehabilitation center in Delhi offer therapy and treatment with the involvement of family members.

Caregivers:

The best rehabs in Delhi provide specialized care and treatment through professional medical staff that looks after the patient and their medical needs. They also understand that the patient needs to receive the love and support of their family. So, the best rehabs in Delhi have designed treatment programs that allow family members to visit the patient regularly and let them be the primary caregivers at the rehab.

Motivate and maintain open communication:

Only the people closest to the patient can assure them that they will be fine. Therefore, family members must communicate openly about the problem and the plan of recovery. Sometimes, the patient might hurt his/her loved ones due to their unstable mental condition. The rehab has family therapy sessions to help them cope with such difficult situations. However, the role of the family is to motivate the patient towards recovery with sheer patience and understanding.

Break the chain of stigma:

Our society looks down upon people with addictions, and therefore, these people feel terrible about themselves and struggle to seek help. The patient and the family also face challenges, and constant judgments are passed against them. Such stigmatization affects the self-confidence and damages the reputation of the family too. Therefore, it is best to stay away from such stigmatization and deliberately pay no attention to avoidable judgments.

Rehab facilities counsel the family members and have open discussions about these issues. They are advised and trained to break the power of such stigma and continue on their journey to recovery.

Re-establishment of relationships and social contacts:

There are times when addiction breaks relationships. The person is likely to show the effects of an unstable mind. Results such as violent behavior, using abusive language, not showing enough care or interest for their loved ones, etc., are common among victims of addiction. Disintegrated relationships may also affect the patient negatively. In an attempt to speed up the recovery, the family must come together and fix their relationship. Families must show the patient that they deserve to be alive and loved, and they are capable of being social and socially accepted.

Avoiding Triggers

The family must be aware of every trigger that leads the patient back into a state of addiction. They must avoid all such triggers. For instance, an alcoholic cannot attend family gatherings where alcohol is served. It is the responsibility of the family to keep the patient away from liquor, parties that involve drinks, alcohol counters at home, etc.

Education And Awareness

The patient's family needs to be educated about the effects and consequences of addiction on the person's mental health and behavior. In addition, they must be aware of the withdrawal symptoms that the person goes through and prepare to handle such situations at home or after recovery.

Addiction treatments at rehabs don't just focus on the patient; they also understand the state of the family, who are the caregivers of the patient, and provide necessary therapy for the family as well.