What Phoenix Comicon's Prop Ban Means For Convention Safety

Would this shocking incident involving real weapons have an affect for future conventions?

38
Source: AM 860

On Thursday May 25th, convention attendees at Phoenix Comicon were shocked to hear or witness the arrest of one man who was heavily armed with firearms inside the convention center. Fortunately no one was hurt and the suspect has been locked up since. Security did a great job handling the situation at hand as the conventions activities continued on. For someone that was at Phoenix Comicon the day that happened, I didn't get the news about this incident until passing by security before heading into the Hall of Heroes Exhibitor Hall. For the rest of the convention, prop weapons were banned from the convention center and reasonable heavier security.

Despite the weapon prop ban at Phoenix Comicon, a couple of Overwatch heroes improvised in the most creative way possible.

For congoers hearing the news, it was a scary situation about the possible scenario if the perpetrator was never caught. But what does this mean for future comic or entertainment conventions throughout the nation? Weapon props are what make most costumes for people who decide to dress up for the weekend, which did cause upset attendees who've worked extra hard for their costumes. Additionally the heavier security has caused longer lines for registration, ruining the convention experience for most. However, it has been well managed upon short notice along with email alerts for future attendees for the remainder of the weekend. Would the safety of convention attendees be prioritized before the enjoyment of the convention experience?

The answer would be yes, because these entertainment conventions are meant for a no-worries weekend to enjoy with friends and to meet with celebrities. Security is always necessary to make sure that the attendees would arrive back home alive. There hasn't been any coverage about other conventions implementing this policy from Phoenix Comicon, but to put into consideration would not sacrifice fun for safety. It is possible to stay safe while being a part of a convention made for the enjoyment of attendees. It's important for other conventions to take note of who could possibly be registered to the event and to screen people who appear to have realistic weapon props. However does it mean that the Jedi's should leave their lightsabers behind? Well no, it's important to look at a conventions policies on props for those who plan on dressing up as either the Walking Dead crew or Suicide Squad. Should other cons take into consideration about this incident in Phoenix? Absolutely, because this event is a reminder that there are sick people who have the intentions of harming a person or even a group of people. It's important for people to step in as the hero and to report any suspicious activity in any popular event.