What People Need To Understand About The Brock Turner Case

As most people have heard by now, the Brock Turner rape case has taken much attention to the media. Not only do I find it heartbreaking and infuriating that he was sentenced to only six months by the judge of the case, but I believe that the maximum 14 years he could receive in jail for this case still isn't enough. As many people support, I too agree that Brock Turner is guilty and should receive the maximum punishment. I believe that rape cases like this need to come to an end and that no one should feel entitled to someone else, like Brock felt of this victim. But there's something more to this case I think a lot of people are missing.

The victim in this case responded to the sentencing and to Brock Turner's actions through a speech she read aloud, famous for saying the words "you don't know me, but you've been inside me." As reading this statement was not only heartbreaking for myself to hear–as I imagine is was for many others–it helped me try to understand the victims side in this entire situation. However, with that being said, I don't believe the victim is having her voice heard enough in this whole situation. To my understanding, not many people know or acknowledge the fact that the victim in this case has decided to stay anonymous to be the voice of all women.

There has been a lot of controversy in the past about whether a case is considered rape or not depending on the victim's actions. I think this needs to be considered more throughout this case, as I believe the victim wants it to be. It is a very well-known fact that this victim, like many rape victims in the past, was heavily intoxicated. She would have been easily controlled by an offender, such as Brock Turner. However, as the victim has been trying to bring to light in this situation, she did absolutely nothing wrong. The fact that many victims, especially women, were intoxicated should make absolutely no difference to the sentencing of the offender. Just because this victim drank, does not mean she was asking for it. Women, not just in rape cases, but throughout society are constantly being sexually oppressed throughout many actions and convictions, which would be entirely different if a man were in this case instead. I believe the victim of this case was trying to bring that idea forward as she remains anonymous and is the voice of all women throughout.

Brock Turner's actions, like many others, I find to be completely repulsive, disappointing and heartbreaking. As we need to punish those who have taken on these actions, such as Brock Turner, we also need to bring to light the victims in this case and end any forms of oppression they are receiving.