What People Don't Understand About Living With A Mental Illness

There's Nothing 'Crazy' About Prioritizing Your Mental Health — It Would Only Be Crazy Not To

A lot of people think mental illness is a choice, but who would choose this?

183

I recently spoke to my parents about my mental illness. Through this conversation, it became clear how many people simply think that mental illnesses are not real and that they are simply choices to gain attention or being too "sensitive."

Please trust me when I say, if mental illness was a choice, it would be one no one would choose.

Thousands upon thousands of people struggle with mental illnesses every single minute. Especially college students.

School, homework, work, friends, exercise — all of the choices you make in college literally affect the rest of your life — that sounds like a good reason for constant stress.

Some people cope with that by going out to party. Others aren't so lucky.

While scrolling through Snapchat and seeing everyone having tons of fun, you're sitting there thinking about how anxious you are. Or what about the days where it's impossible to get out of bed?

Living with anxiety and depression, every day is unpredictable. It transforms you when it isn't controlled properly. It can change your personality, mood, and behavior.

Sometimes it gets so bad that I don't even recognize myself.

So when I finally realized I had it after talking to friends, I went to get help.

I was proud of myself for even going to get help because SO many people think there's a "crazy" stigma that goes with visiting a psychiatrist. The only crazy thing about it is that you call a person crazy for trying to get help while you sit there and suffer in silence.

I've been receiving treatment since the end of my freshman year in college. It truly has let me go back to feeling like myself again.

We need to all stop putting a stigma on people for trying to get help. Maybe if we didn't have that, people like Anthony Bourdain, or Kate Spade, or Robin Williams would still be all around today.

I challenge every person who reads this to break down the stigma of mental illness and help normalize it.

There's nothing crazy about taking your life back.