8 Things No One Tells You About Dorm Living

8 Things No One Tells You About Living In A Dorm

It's not exactly like you'd think.

82
Personal Photo

It's your first year of college! You've packed up all of your things and you're ready to start this exciting new chapter in your life. You're moving into your first dorm, not quite knowing what to expect. You've read all the blogs you can put your hands on and looked up so many packing lists you're pretty sure you could write your own. However, there are a few things that no one really seems to tell incoming freshmen about dorm living!

1. There is seriously no space. 

The small room is your whole living area. It's your living room, kitchen, bedroom, and office. And you also share that small space with another person. Bring storage containers that can fit underneath your bed. Spend your money more on space-saving storage containers rather than decorations. Also, be courteous of your roommate and don't bring 15 suitcases full of all of your stuff.

2. You may not be besties with your roommate, but that is okay. 

Some people room with their friends from home and other people live with a random roommate. You don't have to do everything with your roommate and shouldn't expect your roommate to hang out with you and only you all the time. Don't force the friendship.

3. You need to learn how to politely confront your roommate. 

There will be disagreements. You or your roommate will do something that needs to be addressed. Be sure that you and your roommate have a set agreement as to who cleans what and how often.

4. You probably won't be able to study properly in your dorm. 

They're loud, there isn't a lot of space and there is another person living in that same tiny room. Try and find a better study spot that you're able to go to!

5. Try not to spend all of your spare time in your dorm room. 

Go out and explore campus, join clubs and other organizations, make friends, and spend time with people rather than sitting in your dorm watching Netflix!

6. You most likely will not control the thermostat. 

My freshman year dorm was insanely cold. I was wearing winter pajamas and slippers in Florida in September. However, my friend's dorm was very hot and he had to go purchase two fans to keep the room cool enough to sleep in. Be prepared for any situation!

7. Wait until you get there to see what you need. 

Don't show up on move-in day with a U-Haul full of your decorations and storage containers. Show up with the bare necessities and buy what you need as you go!

8. Be prepared for anything and everything. 

This is freshman year of college. People go out and drink and come in super late and night and might even throw up in the hallway. People blare music until super late. People stay up all night to study. You truly never know what kind of experience you've signed up for -be prepared for anything!

College is truly so fun and will be some of the best years of your life! Go into your first year with a positive attitude and everything will be fine! Best of luck!