What My New Self Would Say To The Old Me

Everything you're going through now has a purpose.
15

There comes a time in life when we all change. Sometimes that means growing up, wising up, or just realizing that the way you're living just isn't working. You realize that a change in your life is necessary to move forward, be a better you, or see progress. This change happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. So, here's my new self writing a letter to the old me.

Dear old me,

You really think you have things all figured out. You have the right relationship, good friends, and your education/career all planned out. You know what's best, and there's no changing your mind. Well I, the future you, am here to tell you that you're very wrong.

You see, right when we think we have things all figured out is exactly when they come crashing down. You've seen this before, since you and I have had a few of these life changes thrown our way already. We've had to re-evaluate friendships, relationships, and plans for our life. Boyfriends that didn't treat us even close to right, friends that betrayed us, and college dreams that fell through. But we got past all of that, and now you think you have it figured out this time. Wrong again.

You think since you're an adult now, the friends you have will be the friends you always have. WRONG. Sadly, the friends you have as an adult can be just as petty and immature as the ones you had to deal with in high school, especially if they are some of the same ones from high school. They will stab you in the back, betray you, use you, expect you to always be there for them, and then leave you when you need them most. Now, you will always have that select few that stay with you through time, even if you don't talk every day, and those are the ones you cling tight to. But don't worry, you will continue to make friends through every stage of life, some true and some not.

As far as relationships, that can change with the wind nowadays. Society makes it easy to cheat, and even encourages it with the common ideas of side chicks, etc. You will have to deal with liars, cheaters, abusers, and just plain horrible guys before you will find the one. But when you find the guy that loves you with all your flaws, and the one that you can deal with his version of bad, keep him. No guy is perfect, as you've already begun to figure out, so when you find the one that is your kind of perfect, that is the one you fight for.

Now on to life plans. You may have an idea of exactly where you're going to school and what you're going to do in life, but be prepared for that to change 50 times. Money is always an issue, and keeping your grades up to earn scholarships. And then when life happens and you find "the one" you may change again, because going to the dream school across the country doesn't work quite as good as going to the one an hour away. Sacrifices will be made, and you will learn in what department you want to make those. Just remember your education is important, and no matter what life throws your way, you can't let it make you sacrifice getting it. Because when boyfriends leave, friends abandon you, and you feel lost, you have that accomplishment to fall back on, and that will make life a lot easier to handle.

Most importantly, let the past be the past. Don't let that horrible relationship ruin the great one in the future. Don't let that girl that turned her back on you after years of friendship when you needed her most, ruin the friendships you will have in the future with people who actually care. Don't let setbacks in your education or career keep you from reaching the finish line. And don't let anything life throws your way, health, sadness, loss, keep you from moving forward.

I'm sitting here in the future and I can tell you that all these changes are good. The friends lost, the bad relationships, the life changes, they are all meant to happen to lead you toward a much greater plan.

Keep the faith, and don't sweat the small stuff. You're gonna be great one day.

Sincerely,

Your future self