What My First Semester Of College Taught Me

All your hard work pays off!

33
Messiah College

"My first semester of college taught me that it's ok to be uncertain about the little things."

College.....the dream of almost every high school senior. When one thinks of college, they think of parties.....new friends..... independence. I, however, didn't even bat an eye about these things after I graduated. The first thing that I thought about was, "Am I going to be able to do this?"......That was the question that seemed to linger on in my mind for most of the summer leading up to college move-in day. When the first semester of my freshman year of college got into full swing, things started to get difficult. There was so much uncertainty about my major and what I was going to do for the rest of my life. My first semester of college taught me that it's ok to be uncertain about the little things. Here are a few more lessons that my first semester of college taught me.

1.) Don't be afraid to take risks

You will never know what opportunities you have lost until they are gone. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and take risks!! Do a service project, go abroad, do research, go on a Sheetz run at midnight, do anything that you would not possibly be allowed to do at home! While college is about success and hard work, you need to find time to be yourself and to have fun.

2.) It's ok to have no clue what you're doing

College is a place to be able to explore your passions. If you plan to come into college with an undecided major, the advice I give to you is to explore! Get to really know your college and figure out what you love to do. Love to sing? Check out a music major. Love to draw or paint? There's a major for that too! There is a major for almost anything that you can think of! So don't worry if you have no idea what you're doing! Take this time to explore yourself and find your perfect fit.

3.) Don't sweat the small stuff

If there is anything that I have learned from my first semester of college, it's don't sweat the small stuff. Wax on, wax off (like my Dad always tells me). It's ok to get worried over things, but not to the point were you're making yourself depressed. There were a few times during my first semester where I wasn't doing as well as I had hoped....I felt stupid....dumb.....but let me tell you, it gave me all the more reasons to pick myself up and try harder. Now, I am in a good place. Yes, there is still room for improvement, but I'm trying my best and that's all that matters.

4.) Leave ALL of the high school drama...ALL OF IT....at high school!

College is completely different than high school! It is a place of maturity and growth. The people that you meet at college (with a few exceptions) are past the dramatic stage in their life. They are ready for what is ahead of them, and you should be too. Any high school problems that you had, let them melt away. There is a significant chance that you will never see those problems again! You come to college with a blank slate so take advantage of that and create a better you! Don't worry about what others think. You are there to learn and to develop as an individual.

5.) Be yourself and don't EVER change!

While college is about maturing and growing as an adult, you should be able to do that without compromising who you are as a person. You should be in an environment where you can fully embrace who you are. If not, you need to put yourself with a group of friends who love you for you or find another college. You should be at a college where you feel safe expressing your values and opinions. Being yourself is the most beautiful thing you can be. Don't be afraid to let your imagination roam free. Be creative, be independent, be wise, and most importantly, be yourself!

My first semester of college taught me so many things. Despite some hardships and uncertainties, it taught me to stand firm in my beliefs and to never compromise who I am for anyone. College is an emotional rollercoaster......but it'll be completely worth it. So strap yourself in and get ready for the ride of a lifetime!