What My Composition II Professor Has Taught Me

Much more than MLA and grammar rules, my professor has changed the way I look at English Comp.

9
Jayden Taylor Cartelli

Beyond the funny classes we have had full of honesty, words of wisdom, and true lecture, my English Composition teacher has taught me so much more than just MLA formatting, or the ability to title a paper. My professor has quite literally painted the truest reality of our futures for us, explaining that students are never challenged to write about things that we care about. Yes, books are important, enriching our knowledge with the power of other authors and their ideas, but my professor has also stressed the importance of forming our own opinions on ideas we care about. My professor has gone as far as pointing out the fact that new ideas and thoughts literally surround us all the time, whether it be on television, on a billboard, or in another form of advertisement. Advertisements are constantly teaching a 'lesson' (no matter how eccentric), and as students, we are never asked to look and write about the things that we literally lay our eyes on every single day. Overall, he has really challenged me and my peers to break down the box we are meant to think outside of, and create a new framework in itself (in fact, he also stresses the fact that we should recreate cliches, and it is rubbing off on me, obviously).

This is the first time I have ever sat in a classroom and have been asked about popular trends I see in society. This is the first time I have been challenged to read things that I have never thought to read, gaining more ideas and experience in the real world than I have ever been allowed to in consideration of my school work... So, I would like to give a little thank you to him and his knowledge he has so kindly shared with me and my peers.

Professor,

I have taken the time to consider how much this class means to me, and I can truly say that it has made me consider double-majoring. Having a drive to write creatively and academically like I do (I know, weird), I have truly found such an incredible stress on my ability to expand what I care about in this class, never having thought that any of my thoughts outside of my academic writing would be important to a classroom. Instead, I have the exact opposite in our classroom, finding that my creative, personal writing dealing with current, popular trends, or based on modern articles is truly important to my growth as a student. Thank you for allowing me to exercise my ability to write about what I want, what I enjoy, and even about what things bother me. Thank you for letting me express my feelings on topics that do not just matter to you, but to me, too. I wanted to let you know that your work in the classroom (and outside of the classroom) are greatly appreciated by many of us, especially me.

I will not use the word 'something' ever again.

Thank you.

Jayden