What My Best Friend Taught Me

What My Best Friend Taught Me

Be confident in your decisions.

2949
What My Best Friend Taught Me
Favim

Everyone has that one person that they can talk to about anything. Whether that is the new shirt you bought, the person you like, or what shows you should start watching on Netflix. The people we chose to surround ourselves with shape us into the people we are. They teach us lessons (good and bad), shape our morals and ideals, and influence our thoughts and emotions. But beneath all of that, there are some people that do so much more. For me, that person is my best friend. She has taught me many things throughout the 17 years we have been best friends, but there are a few that have stood out to me.

1. Be confident in your decisions.

Life is full of choices. Whether it's what college to go to, what dress you wear to prom, or if that shirt is really worth $30. Whatever the case is, you have to pick. My best friend always taught me to stand by those decisions. Big or small, you do what is best for you, and be confident in it. The choices you make define who you are, and if you make the right one and stand by it, it tells a lot about your character.

2. Make time for the things you love.

Whether it was doing homework for my 18 credit hours or working for either of my two jobs, she always encouraged me to make time for my hobbies. She emphasized that life is better when you can do what you love, and to never forget that. She inspired me to go to yoga classes, paint more, and to go out with my friends after a long day at work.

3. Just laugh it off.

Throughout the 17 years we've known each other, we have seen the good, bad, and ugly of one another. We've been though loss, breakups, vacations, and the best moments of our lives together. But, when life was hard and I was down, she always found a way to make me laugh. There was never a moment that she was not supportive and taught me that laughter really is the best medicine.

4. Be yourself, unconditionally.

People who love you have this ability to make you feel special and loved. This is not even close to how she made me feel. It was far better than that. Everyday she tells me that I'm amazing, and that she loves me. Never have a questioned my own beauty, or felt insecure out myself. She never made me feel stupid or boring, annoying or shallow. With the confidence she has given me to be myself fully and completely, I can conquer the world.

5. She will always be there for me.

For 17 years, this woman has given me everything a person could give someone else. Companionship, confidence, never ending support, the list goes on. She will always be there for me, through sickness and in health. Through bad times, good times, and great times. There is nothing I can't do with her by my side, for the next 17 years, and the 17 years after that.