What Moving Taught Me

What Moving Taught Me

Excited, terrified, amazed, skeptical, and euphoric. Amidst a landslide of emotions, moving is an experience like no other.

34
What Moving Taught Me
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/06/6365863507532712191337665546_Odyssey%20Cover%202.jpg

Moving during grade school can often seem devastating yet, oddly enough, for college many seem desperate to get as far away from home as possible. Whether the idea sounds terrifying, depressing,or amazing, there’s a lot you can learn from the experience.

Sometimes you have to fearlessly approach people

… even if you are introvert! Moving from one city to another is the perfect way to test your social skills and confidence. This is also one of the hardest parts of the experience. I remember staring at a gym full of kids in their pre-established cliques, chatting away about their summer vacations and the joys of middle school. At that moment, I felt small and out of place until I saw someone else like me who seemed like she hadn’t found her friends yet. I knew I had to muster up every ounce of courage and just go for it. In hindsight, introducing myself really wasn’t a big deal—it earned me a friend throughout the rest of my middle school career. One terrifying moment may lead to a blossoming friendship.

Being unapologetically yourself

… can difficult but it is definitely something you will be thankful for. We have all encountered friends who limit us because we don’t feel comfortable enough to talk with them freely. However, judgment and social cues are best left ignored. If you have to question yourself and your values for someone else, ditch them. Moving is, after all, about meeting new people. If one group doesn’t feel right, it’s okay to move on. From one social butterfly to another: awesome people are everywhere, you just have to find them. Friends are for hanging out with, venting, and good life advice. Don’t hang out with people who make it seem like a chore!

Embracing your awesomeness

… because at the end of the day, no matter where you go, you are the only you the world will ever get to know. Moving helps you realize you bring something new to the table that no one else can. Though it’s hard to fit in and feel totally at home, once you have established yourself you really learn what makes you different and extraordinary. Your strengths and weaknesses become really apparent in new environments. And so, you realize: you are irreplaceable!