What My Mom Has Taught Me In Life

What My Mom Has Taught Me In Life

She went through the worst so that I could have the best.
26

As a child, I had both of my parents in my life. One night, however, stands out from the rest of my childhood, though. That night, my mother had my brother and I pack just a few things for a stay at our Nana’s house. Early the next morning I was woken up to my dad yelling. I was so confused and my dad kept telling me to go with him, but I was scared and decided to stay with my mother. As the years progressed I learned of what had happened—my father's abuse—but after that, everything was okay for a while.

During the recession, my mom had to relocate out-of-state for a job. It was when this happened that my home life took a drastic turn. My younger brother and I were living with our dad when the abuse started again—more toward me than my brother. He would even take jabs at our mother saying that she abandoned us when in reality she was just trying to help get back on her feet and provide as much as she could for us.

After she moved back to Florida, my dad was even more controlling. He would even use not being able to see her as punishment for my brother and I. It wasn’t until I was seventeen that child services intervened and I officially lived with my mother. Even when I wasn’t living with her full-time, we were close (with the occasional teenage anger slipping out). We share a closer bond due to what we endured and without even telling me things, she has taught me a lot about life.

When I look at my mother, I see a strong-willed woman who has the ability to overcome any obstacles she faces. The power that my mother has is something that I hope she passes on to me. She has faced many challenges, but she doesn’t let them define or deter her. My mother is independent—she does not need to rely on a man to give her solace. My brother and I are her trophies, she does everything she can just to be able to put smiles on our faces, and she supports me while I embark on my journey through college.

She is the strongest woman I know, and that is also due to the family she has. The women in her family, her mother and sisters, are her support system. They are all women I look up to, and with them alone I find it apparent that there is no bond tighter than that of your family. Due to what my mother has gone through, the most impressive thing she has taught me is that I don’t need anyone to hold me back from what I want to accomplish. Even with trials and tribulations, you can still come out victorious no matter what the situation is. My mother is my motivation and I plan to make her proud by doing everything that my father said I could never do.