What Marching Band Has Taught Me

What Marching Band Has Taught Me

The reason halftime shows are a BIG deal and they should continue on. These shows have taught us to believe in ourselves and so much more.

340
What Marching Band Has Taught Me
Blair Carrier

What marching band taught me goes beyond learning music. Marching band is not just some easy thing some people can do to get an "A." This is what four years of marching band taught me. I hope it taught you the same things and even more.

One, it taught me that there is no "I" in team. Quite literally. To be able to perform one halftime show or even just one song takes the whole band, auxiliary, dancers, twirlers, and ColorGuard members. We have had to learn to work together when life got us down. I would go to practice every day and wonder if it was worth it. But after a performance, crummy or amazing, I knew what I was creating was touching peoples' hearts and minds. It takes courage to perform. We are not all built to perform, we are taught. We learn that to make a line possible, it takes practice and it takes all of us putting in our best effort. It takes every single one of us.

Two, it has taught me that there is more to life than winning. We all know that football in the South is like another religion. Football is non-negotiable. I love football -- don't get me wrong; I've grown up watching it and I still watch it every Saturday and go to the occasional high school game on Friday nights. But band, band touches people whether we win a trophy at a competition or we beat the other band in a stand-tune show down. It also has changed us. It makes you realize that you are worth it. That all the hours of practice weren't for nothing. That the crowd loves it. Like I said, it touches people in more ways than we will ever know. It may bring back a memory form when they were younger, we may play their favorite song, the song may remind them of someone they loved or love, we may even bring them back from whatever state they were in. It brings meaning to our lives and to others as well.

Three, it has taught me responsibility. Responsibility is a big word, I know. But if you forget your instrument, you don't perform. If you forget your uniform, you don't perform. Simple as that. It helps us learn that responsibility is a key factor in life and it is preparing us for it. If you go to work and you forget those presentations at home what are you supposed to do? Ones you've worked weeks on and just forget them at home? What if you forget your glasses at home because you were in a hurry and you don't have contacts with you. Band teaches you to be responsible. But, not just for your things but for you actions. If you are out of the line when performing, you are going to see it on review day. You are going to be responsible for not being in line. Or you put your flags or batons on the wrong yard line, you are going to be responsible for that, and look a little silly for not having your stuff too. YOU are responsible.

Four, it has taught me that your family is not just by blood. My band family was everything to me. I was one of the lucky ones to be in ColorGuard and in band. Yes, I love my mom, dad, step mom and other family, but band made that family even bigger. I met my best friends in band. So much that they don't even knock when they come to my house anymore and the first things Erin does is hugs my mom and says "I'm home." Summer and her mother came to my house after Summer's game one night just to see me while I was home for the weekend. I always let them know when I'm coming home so if they are home from college as well I can go see them. They are family and I met them in middle school and high school band.

These just scrape the surface of what I have learned from being in band. I've learned this and so much more. I am so thankful for my band family and I honestly do not know where I would be without them. Thank you, Marching Band, for giving me the best times and the worst times.