What Living With Your Best Friend Is Really Like
Friendships

I'll never get tired of yelling across the hall.

105

It's only been 20 days exactly since I have moved in with my best friend, and I have already learned it is the greatest difficult decision I have ever made.

For me personally, it was at first a difficult adjustment to make. You go from 18+ years to living only a bedroom or 2 away from your mom, to having to text her and see what she's doing when you wanna go and visit her. You go from doing everything in your daily routine exactly the way you want to, and then you are suddenly combining your life with someone else's and even though it's your best friend; there are still plenty of differences between the both of you. You feel both overwhelmed and excited at the same time. You knew you would be excited, but when you become overwhelmed, you become concerned.

You don't become overwhelmed because it's awful, you become overwhelmed because suddenly you're living a whole different life, and even though it's with your favorite person; it's still a different life. You soon begin to realize that despite all the changes you're dealing with, it's actually the greatest thing. Who is one of the only people that will love you like your mother does? Your best friend. But with your best friend, you can tell them all of the borderline illegal things you have done and all of your boy problems without the " mom lecture". Every night I get off work, come home, and my best friend is way more excited to see me than my mom ever was(sorry mom). I get to hear all the ins and outs of her day every night in person, without having to Face Time or text her.

Sometimes we just sit side by side and do homework in silence, while other times we ramble about our problems for hours. The sharing clothes and makeup? That really happens. Our wardrobes have doubled in size, and neither of us had to pay a dime for it. Being the little "adults" we are now, we are always going to the market together, cleaning the house, even shopping for blinds, curtains, and home decor. The point is, our friendship has become deeper than shopping trips, restaurants, and laughter. We now do the most boring grown up things together but still make them fun because we are doing them, well, together. It gets really raw really quick. There is no hiding from each other when we decide we don't want to be seen, so we see each other at our most vulnerable states.

When you live with your best friend, you will not argue as much as your other friends think you will, but when you do, it becomes very awkward very fast. This will make you swallow your pride and work through the problem far more quickly than usual. You will find yourselves still having sleepovers in the same room, even though you have a room of your own. You will see her everyday, but still kind of miss her when she's not home. You will learn how different both of you are, but understand more everyday why you two are best friends. You learn everything about them that you thought you already knew. Living with your best friend is like having your biggest support system on call 24/7 anytime you need them, except you don't have to call, you just have to walk right across the hall.

In a short 20 days I have learned that living with your best friend is not like one big sleepover everyday, it's somehow better. It's the biggest test of friendship there is. It may not be easy every single day when two of the most stubborn girls live together, but I'll never get tired of yelling across the hall.