Sleeping seems like it might be an easy activity, but trust me, it is not. It has always been a problem for me, although for different reasons as the years have passed. Not being able to fall asleep, waking up in the middle of the night, waking up too early, the list goes on. Sleeping is just not my strong suit. I have tried all the tricks and yet nothing seems to help. I'm sure I’m not alone in this, and there are many things that bad sleepers know to be true.
1. You probably made your parents pick you up from sleepovers as a child.
“I just wanna go home and play Yahtzee with my mom.”
2. Once you were able to stay the whole night at sleepovers, you were probably the last one to fall asleep and the first one to wake up.
And you have to wait for everyone to wake up until you can eat breakfast.
3. You’ve been mocked for wearing a silly eye-masks to block out the light.
But if Audrey Hepburn can do it, then so can you.
4. You’ve tried listening to white noise or peaceful music.
But you start really listening to the music instead of having it as background noise.
5. Maybe you’ve tried to avoid screens so the blue light won’t keep you awake.
But when you go to set your alarm for the morning, you end up checking all your social media sites anyways.
6. Perhaps you try to read a book in hopes that it will help you fall asleep.
But you end up getting sucked into it and can’t put it down until 2 a.m.
7. You’ve told yourself you have to go to bed immediately.
But you don’t like when people tell you what to do, so you subconsciously ignore yourself and stay awake for hours.
8. You’ve definitely calculated the hours and minutes you have left in bed before you have to get up.
And tried to pretend it was longer.
9. Most likely you’ve fallen asleep in class or at work because of your lack of sleep from the night before.
No, no, I’m awake. I was just really concentrating.
10. Someone has accidentally woken you up and then told you to go back to sleep.
It is not that easy for some people. I am wide awake now.
11. And of course, you’ve tried the infamous counting of sheep.
But you often lose count and constantly have to start over.