What Legally Blonde Taught Me

What Legally Blonde Taught Me

There is so much more beneath blonde hair and a pretty face.

164
AMC TV

Reese Witherspoon, in Legally Blonde, plays the role of the film’s main protagonist- Elle Woods. Elle Woods is the pretty blonde from California who is the epitome of everything girly. She is the president of her sorority Delta Nu, has a pet chihuahua, loves all things pink, and wants nothing more than to be the future Mrs. Warner Huntington III. Her world is turned upside down when Warner dumps her, but she follows him to Harvard Law School in order to win him back. Elle’s perspective changes when Warner constantly puts her down- she decides to make the journey about herself and become a successful law student. She succeeds with flying colors and Warner comes crawling back to her… but that ship has sailed for Elle and she shuts him down.

Legally Blonde might just be the most iconic feminist film of our time, and some people judge it by its cover, thinking that a movie about the traditional 'dumb blonde' chasing her boyfriend is superficial. I, however, take the film for more than its face value and have dug deeper to find extremely important life lessons from Elle Woods.

Here are a few things she taught me...

1. Your education, money, etc. will never just get up and leave you.

If you want to invest yourself in something secure, invest it in your education. It will really bring you places and you will never have to worry about it being disloyal to you.

2. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Although the movie is fiction, Elle showed the same hard work and determination that is key in succeeding in real life.

3. Don't pay attention to what others think of you.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but never let that dull your sparkle.

4. Not all blondes are dumb!

I think we knew this already but just in case anyone needed a refresher.

5. Take risks to get what you want- it will all work out in the end.

Elle initially took the LSATs and applied to Harvard Law just to win back her boyfriend Warner. In the end, she realized she was smarter than she thought and she also realized that she deserved better than what Warner could give her.