What I Learned Moving Home With My Parents

"After living in a dorm for a year and a half, I decided to move back home."

1879
CNBC

After living in a dorm for a year and a half, I decided to move back home to save money since I only live fifteen minutes away from my college. Over the past few months, I’ve realized the aspects of dorm living that I miss and do not miss. Overall, I do not miss dorm life.

1. No Line For Laundry

Laundry was always a hassle living in a dorm. I decided to do it early, around 7 am when most were still sleeping so that I didn’t have to deal with the struggle of fighting over machines with other girls, but there were always other early risers. Although it’s much easier to get laundry done at home - I do miss being able to use multiple machines at once.

2. Saving Money

I do not regret saving money. Dorm life is extremely overpriced with meal plans and the dorms and health fees etc, but now that I’m living at home the cost of gas largely outweighs the cost of living in a dorm and I can save for an apartment when I plan to study abroad.

3. Own Room, Comfy Bed

Oh, how I missed my own room and my own space. No longer do I have to worry about waking a roommate when they’re napping or fighting over space or the bathroom/shower times. Also - my bed. Those mass-produced beds they give you at college are nothing compared to your bed at home.

4. Food

My parents love to cook and I love to eat. I hated the same old food at school day after day and it seemed the only food they could do well was breakfast. At home, my parents cook food I want to eat and it’s always fully cooked.

5. Family Obligations

Family obligations are one thing I could get away with missing while at school. Now, some nights we have to go out for family dinners or parties that sometimes I would like to avoid.

6. Parents Hovering

This may be different for other parents, but since coming home my parents want to know when I’ll be home and what I’m doing or where I’m going. I miss the freedom with college and ability to go out on the weekends without them knowing a thing.