What I Learned From The Woman's March On Washington
Politics

Once was enough, lets do it again!

6
Tribktla

This past weekend I am proud to say that I was one of the hundreds of thousands of people to join the woman’s march on Washington, it was one of the greatest experiences that I am glad to say I personally took a part in. That being said, I hope to never do anything like that again. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I didn’t enjoy the experience, I actually loved it. When you look around you and all you can see is a sea of people standing in unison for a common cause it’s practically indescribable. And once everyone started holing up their signs and chanting you practically became overwhelmed by the mass energy that began accumulating in such a small space. But amongst all the chanting, signs and people, one thing stood out in particular, and that was the elderly woman holding a small sign that read “47 years, and I can’t believe I’m still protesting this shit.” It was in that moment that I realized that no one actually wanted to be there at the march.

On Friday, the day of new President Trumps inauguration we left Ohio, embarking on a 7 hour journey to Maryland, which involved sleeping on in a rather uncomfortable position for most of the ride, meshing yourself with what felt like a hundred other people trying to all fit on the metro and standing for hours attempting to learn how to lip read while watching dozens of empowered speeches on the jumbotron, because speakers weren’t properly set up in a way that allowed everyone to hear the speeches if they weren’t near the stage. Now that you are reading it like this the experience probably seems dreadful, and not gonna lie, at this point it didn’t seem like the best time. But, I would still gladly do all of that over again in heartbeat, because much like the lady who had been protesting for 47 years it doesn’t matter how long it takes, what matters is that you show that you’re not willing to give up that fight. But that’s why no one wants to march again, because something like the march only happens when people have a reason to fight. If there is no reason to fight then there doesn’t need to be a march. But as long as there is injustice and people’s rights are being taken away then people will fight it, even if it involves standing to the point where our knees start to buckle and we can’t walk anymore, as long as it continues the fight we shall fight.