10 Things Freshman Year Taught Me

10 Things Freshman Year Taught Me

College life as a freshman is coming to a close and here's what it taught me

38
10 Things Freshman Year Taught Me

As freshman year begins to come to a close, I have been reflecting on how much I have grown and learned in such a short time. It seems like just yesterday I was crying in my dorm room after saying goodbye to my parents. I had always looked forward to college, but change can be scary. I wiped my tears, left my room, and headed to my first welcome-to-college event. Little did I know, I would meet my best friend there. It's true that there have been ups and downs, but freshman year has been the best year of my life thus far and here's what I've learned from it:

1. You Will Make Lifelong Friends

I was fortunate enough to make immediate friends within my first day of college, all because I put myself out there and attended a Greek barbecue. That night, nobody knew of anything really big happening so I suggested that we could play Cards Against Humanity. It may seem like a boring night in, but the inside jokes from that night continue to this day. If you're worried about not making friends as a freshman, get out of your comfort zone and get involved. It's unlikely that you'll ever hang out with somebody because you're in a class together. Sorority recruitment is the perfect opportunity to meet so many wonderful girls. I still talk to girls from my recruitment group even though we ended up in different houses. Whatever it is, just remember that everyone else is looking to make friends too.

2. Freshman Year Experiences are Once-in-a-lifetime

I still love college just as much but trust me when I say that you can never re-do your first semester. It'll be your first time eating dining hall food, first time finding your way around campus, and first time attending college parties. It can be overwhelming, but it is so much fun. My first semester was filled with more laughs and excitement than I've had in whole my life.

3. Self-discipline is Crucial

College life is a blast, but grades are still important. I'm not trying to sound like a mom but it's worth it to take at least two nights a week to do homework and study. This was hard. I had major FOMO the first two months of college, but now I'm thankful that I don't have to stress about how my first semester grades were horrible and I'll probably have to get a 4.0 every semester from now on if I even want to graduate. This also means actually attending classes. I know that Friday mornings can be rough, but it pays off to go.

4. Your Major Will Change... Many Times

Although gen-eds don't require you to select a major, it's smart to know what path you plan on taking. I'm technically pre-business, but Business Administration and Marketing do require taking different classes. It's good to think about it now, but don't be so sure that you are going to stick with that plan forever. Taking a variety of different courses allows you to discover your true passion.

5. The Freshman 15 is Real

The first few months I didn't really notice but come Christmas break, my jeans were getting a little tight and I had a noticeable pouch. I am by no means fat, but I came to the realization that I was becoming really unhealthy. Maybe it was all of the 2 a.m. miniature pizzas that I was scarfing down every Thursday-Saturday? Or maybe it was the fact that I hadn't touched the gym since the first week of campus, I just felt too busy! The freshman 15 is nothing to be ashamed of, it happens to the best of us. Now, instead of hitting the stir-fry and pizza at the dining hall, I try to make more trips to the salad bar. I also stopped taking the campus shuttle and choose to walk to and from all my classes. You wouldn't believe what such small changes can make.

6. Midterms and Finals Will Make You Cry

Or at least want to. The amount of stress that tests bring put me into actual physical pain. All I can say is to keep calm and that you will get through it. I also try not to burden myself too hard and only give myself 1-2 really challenging classes a semester. While this might not fly come next year, freshman year is a good time to take your gen-eds.

7. High School Honors Students Aren't Always College Honors Students

I don't care that you graduated top of your class with a 4.0 GPA and multiple extracurricular activities, you aren't guaranteed to do even remotely well in a college class. College is so different than high school, and that's why I love it. You don't get credit for coming to class or raising your hand the most. I've even had teachers who strictly base your entire grade on one test or paper. I always made high honor roll and had a 4.0, but just last week I watched my grade drop from an A to a C based on one exam that I studied hours for. All I'm saying is, don't beat yourself up for not having straight A's.

8. Dorm Life Rocks

There is definitely a negative to living in a dorm. People are loud late into the night, you don't have as much personal space, and the beds aren't that great, but the pros outweigh the cons by a landslide. No curfew, no parents telling you to make your bed, and you're surrounded by everyone your age.

9. It Will Make You Appreciate Your Mom

Doing laundry sucks and there's really nothing like a home-cooked meal. I was blessed to have a mom that did my laundry growing up, there's nothing worse than waiting in your dorm room so that you can put your washed clothes in the dryer when the time is up. It just takes so long! Even when it's done you still have to fold them and put them away. One can only eat pizza so many times before wishing for their parents' well-balanced meals. Mom, if you're reading this, thank you.

10. It Goes By Too Fast

There is only one month left until summer comes along. As much as I'm excited for no more assignments or waking up early, I'm going to miss this. I'm thankful for all of those that I have met and how much I have grown this year. I can say with all honesty that college is the best thing to happen to me. As much as I can't wait for my sophomore year to start, freshman year will always have some of the best memories.