What I've Seen From Black Lives Matter

What I've Seen From Black Lives Matter

The two sides that I've personally seen.

1
What I've Seen From Black Lives Matter
George E. Curry

I have to say, I have seen two sides of the Black Lives Matter movement. It took me a while to understand because at first I was one of the people who responded with "All lives matter" whenever I heard someone say black lives matter. But then I heard an analogy that changed my mind. It said if I was running a 5K for breast cancer and at the end of the 5K was a man holding up a sign that said "All Cancer Matters," it would be a little weird. I saw this as not a movement trying to say one set of lives matters more than another or even set apart one group of people from another. No, I actually saw it as a progressive movement that made me see it was a valuable group with a valuable message.

Let's take a step back, I said I have seen two sides of the Black Lives Matter movement. What's that supposed to mean? Well, it means I have seen the progressive side, and the non-progressive side. This can be offensive to some, but I believe there is a side that is harming the name of Black Lives Matter and I believe that it could bring negative outcomes unless we see the progressive change that Black Lives Matter stands for.

When it comes to controversial topics like this, I try my best to be as moderate as possible. I try to look at certain sides without bias and comment on them as fairly as possible.

The first side I see is the progressive side. Watching the Larry Wilmore nightly show even though I tend to disagree with many things he says teaches me a thing or two. He has had a few Black Lives Matter activists on his show and each one of them brings very important topics. Each talk about their involvement with the community and how they want to change the nation for the better. They bring up racism, and a need to change it. They discuss how to work towards a better future and acknowledge the facts presented.

The second side is the non-progressive side. The side that I believe was built on the #Handsupdontshoot trend, which was proven to be a lie by many autopsies and court hearings. These non-progressives have run through cities burning down businesses owned by other black individuals, they throw rocks and riot in anger. Even attacking our men in service while falsely standing behind the name of the Black Lives Matter movement. Some of these people have even gone as far as walking down the street holding signs while chanting "Pigs in a blanket, fry em like bacon" (Cops being referred to as pigs). These people are destructive to both the movement and the community around them. The more angry and upset you are does not mean the more justified you are. These people who stand behind the Black Lives Matter movement's name only make it harder for other people to see it as the progressive movement it is.

I understand I do not see things the same as everyone else on this planet, however, these, regardless of your race or culture, need to be seen. If someone robbed a bank while holding a sign with your name on it, you would sure notice it and say it wasn't you. So why, with people run around looting and burning down businesses while standing behind a name, is nothing is being said?