What I've Learned From Working In Food Service

Here are some important lessons I've learned from working with customers of all kinds.

18
tapmag.com

When I was a sophomore in high school, I decided to apply for my first job. The idea of saving up money for college and personal expenses motivated me to start searching. I was very lucky in my mother's ability to know every single person in town and ended up working as a mini golf attendant at my local adventure park. The job was extremely boring but I used my extra time for homework, so it worked out well. I worked the entire summer up until the golf course closed at the end of the fall season. I found a winter job at Cold Stone Creamery to occupy my time, and when summer rolled back in, I decided to work again at the park. I balanced two jobs until the park announced it was opening its own ice cream shop. The park was much closer to my house and offered more money, so I quit Cold Stone and started working at the park's new shop. In my experience, customer service can be troubling. I've met some of the nicest people, and also some of the most rude and ignorant. I decided to make a list of some of the things I've learned from my past three jobs in the hopes that I can win over some readers who aren't entirely aware of how challenging some minimum wage jobs can be, especially because of the customers we work with.

1. The unpredictable elderly

Old people are like Russian Roulette; you can never, ever tell if they are going to be walk-in pleasant or spitting bullets. In my experience, 60% of elderly people are the kind that you would easily adopt and claim as your own grandparent. Maybe I've caught these people on a bad day, perhaps they forgot their cinnamon oatmeal or the grocery store was out of wheat bread. But these people are out with a vengeance. They'll question every move you make, from why you used one scoop and not the other, why you have such "crazy" makeup on, or why we only have Praline Pecan instead of Butter Pecan. They will ask for your manager's number and set put on a journey to destroy your life. They'll question if you know basic math even after you tell them you're in AP Calculus and they'll call you a "damn millennial". The best advice I have is to keep it cool. No matter how rude they may be, nothing looks worse than a worker getting an attitude with a member of the AARP.

2. Parents are always exhausted

If you ever wonder why people chose not to have children, just look inside a busy mall or Toys R Us. Kids are wild animals, and parents have a constant expression of pure exhaustion. I find myself feeling bad for every single parent who walks in the door. Here they are, trying their best, and letting their demon-spawns have some sugary ice cream. They're rewarded with dairy slobber, melted chocolate on their clothes, and hyperactive bunnies for the rest of their day. Parents are almost always extremely nice, understanding, and generous with tips. They know what its like to work in a frustrating environment because parenting is a job they're stuck with 24/7 for at least eighteen years. Cut these warriors some slack and distract their kids for a bit - every moment of peace counts.

3. Make friends with your regulars

If there's anything relieving in a long shift, it's seeing one of your regulars come in. These are the people who think you're doing a great job - if they didn't, they wouldn't have come back! They're always appreciative. Make friends with them - learn their names, hobbies, favorite menu item. They'll always leave a big tip if they get to rant on their job, or if you remember their order right away. More importantly, you'll find yourself making friendships with people totally different than yourself. Go out of your way to treat these customers like kings, they sometimes will be the sole reason why the business stays afloat, or why your terrible shift turned out to be quite okay.

4. Work is what you make it

The truth is, nobody wants to work day in and day out, so you have to make it fun. Find a job where you can express yourself, make friends, and be your best self. It sounds cheesy, I know, but you truly have to come in every day with an optimistic attitude. Be open-minded and try to make even your most unhappy customers feel respected. Be the bright part of their day. If you turn their mood around once, they'll never forget it. Be the Leslie Knope of your workplace. Brainstorm ideas on how to make your job easier, make your workplace more inviting and make customers feel valued. Your boss, customers, and peers will notice, and you'll find yourself enjoying work more every day.