21 Things That Will Make A Buckeye Smile

Ohio State against the world, amiright?

96
Google Images

People say that they love their school, but my love for Ohio State stems beyond the average love affair a student has with their university. When I arrived in Columbus this past August, I never thought that this place would be something I would become unbelievably attached to. Although there are a million similarities that college students everywhere possess, there are some things that all Ohio State Students have in common. Here they are:

1. Bipolar weather

Being from New York, we always had four seasons; winter, spring, summer and fall. Now that I live in Ohio, I understand there are two seasons; August and winter.

2. Whenever you say "O-H," you'll always get an "I-O" back

No matter where you are and no matter who you know, if you see someone wearing OSU apparel it is always appropriate to scream "O-H," because you will most definitely get an "I-O" back.

3. The View from the 11th Floor of Thompson

Thompson is one of the best places to study on campus, especially on the 11th Floor, where it's completely silent. Obviously during the day its beautiful, but my favorite is when night hits and the lamp-posts go on, that's when you can see the true beauty from the 11th floor.

4. Our football team

The Buckeyes are incredible. As a part of the Big Ten Conference, they have won eight national championships, 37 conference championships (including 35 Big Ten titles) five division championships, 10 undefeated seasons, and have had 6 perfect seasons. How could you not be a fan?

5. The Shoe

There's nothing like standing in a stadium with 105,000 of your closest friends. The Shoe, short for "The Horseshoe," is home to the Buckeyes. Every game, every seat is packed, and there's no better feeling on a Saturday than watching your boys win a game.

6. Urban Meyer

Urban Meyer is the man behind the madness. He coaches our team to victory and gets our boys ready for the big games.

7. Block

Block is the way that Ohio State students get ready for a game, our very own version of tailgates. All the frats throw their best parties and play the best music, with sick remixes. You won't find anyone anywhere else on a Saturday morning when its Game Day.

8. The Best Damn Band in the Land

The Ohio State Marching Band is dubbed "The Best Damn Band in the Land," with reason of course. They have some of the most creative designs, from the classic script "Ohio" to galloping horses. How could you not stay for half-time to see them perform!?

9. Columbus

Columbus, being the 15th largest city in the United States has so much to offer. There is incredible daytime activities, as well as hundreds of things to do at night. With the young individuals living in this city, it's definitely never boring.

10. The Short North

The Short North is always a good time. There are tons of restaurants and bars that always have great food and amazing night live. Some crowd favorites are: Marcellas, Forno, Hubbards, The Pearl, and Northstar Cafe.

11. Condados

Although also located in the Short North, Condados deserved it's own recognition. There's no better place to go for a quick bite to eat, even though the wait for a table might be longer than your whole meal time. Their make your own tacos are delicious, and their guac and queso are to die for. Condados is especially fun during happy hour!

12. Traditions Dining Halls (Scott and Kcom, specifically)

The food on most college campuses get a pretty bad rap, but I don't think the food at OSU is bad in comparison. In my personal opinion, Scott is as close to fine dining as you could get on a college campus. They have it all: from make your own omelette's, to Mexican, to stir-fry. And if you need to restrain yourself from eating a five course meal, there's always Kcom-- which is smaller scale dining and much more convenient.

13. Sloopy's

Sloopy's is always fun, giving you a fun old-school diner feel on a huge campus. Sometimes the wait is longer than it's worth, but if you call in advance (~ 2 hours) and make a reservation, they put you right through. And, it's open super late most nights, so you can use swipes for drunk eats. Can't beat that.

14. Clothing Underground

No better place to get clothing for Game Day than Clothing Underground. They have tons of vintage sweatshirts and shirts cut into never before seen designs. You can almost guarantee no one will have the same outfit, and we all know how crucial that is. Also, you can find something for any themed party; they specialize in Hawaiian shirts and jerseys.

15. CLS/CLN Bus Routes

On such a huge campus, there's no better way to get around than the bus. Whether it's too hot, or too cold, the bus is conveniently located throughout campus, which makes your destination never too far away.

16. DJ Chang at Midway

As far as I'm concerned, Chang makes Midway what it is. He has the best remixes, and his taste in music never fails to get me hype. He gets the vibes going, and it's always a good time when he's there.

17. Too's Tuesday

Too's is the place to be on a Tuesday night. With their live music, and Twitter feed being updated constantly, it's always a fun time where you can enjoy and sing with your friends.

18. Winkles Pizza

Bet you didn't know the little pizza station inside of Bullwinkles had it's own name. There is nothing more convenient than pizza inside a bar. All you have to do is go to the front and order a slice, it may not be the best pizza but you don't have to travel far and get back on line to re-enter if your night isn't over.

19. Cherry Bombs

Another ode to Bullwinkles. They don't really do anything, but it's fun to order an absurd number of cherry bombs, especially before 12:00 a.m. on a Thursday, when they're only $1. You'll feel like a big spender, and your friends will definitely love you.

20. The O and BTC

You can find every OSU student outside, in a jersey, sitting on the railing of The O on a Friday afternoon (starting at about 1:30 p.m.) People arrange their schedules to fit in Beat the Clock. Everyone loves a good deal, where the drinks are priced according to the time of day. For example, at 2:00 p.m. they're $2, at 3:00 p.m. they're $3 and so on. Until about 5:30 p.m., when everyone shifts over to Midway.

21. "Oval Beach"

You won't find anyone who doesn't enjoy sitting outside on the Oval, especially when it's really nice out, but some individuals just take it too far. Let's be clear: blankets, dogs, and sunglasses-- all okay for the Oval; bathing suits-- not so much!

There's no school better than Ohio State, you may beg to differ, but just understand-- in my book, you'll always be wrong.