When An Only Child Leaves For College

When An Only Child Leaves For College

Learning to live in a whole new way

28
When An Only Child Leaves For College
Sara Bayles

Going to college is a huge crazy, fun, scary, exciting, not-sure-how-to-feel time in any recent high school graduates life. You are about to embark on probably the most life changing event thus far in your life. Leaving your hometown for a new one. Your friends no longer being a 4 minute drive around the block or a 15 minute drive across town. Instead, you are all scattered across the country embarking on new adventures and new ways of life. But those in for a bigger shock and larger adjustments are only children.

Growing up as an only child, you become accustomed to it always being about you, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I myself am an only child. Just for the simple fact that you have never had to share the spotlight or pretty much anything with anyone else. You have never had to fight for your parents attention (even though sometimes you wished they would pay a little less attention to you) and always having your own room was always something you were grateful for. Now having to adapt to living with someone else and sharing your space with someone else for the first time in life is a totally new experience that you aren't sure how exactly to handle.

I know for myself it's something I'm excited for since I have always wanted siblings (even though I've been told multiple times I don't.) Some one to relate to and talk to after a long day of class who can actually get it (sorry, mom!) Also with no help form siblings, you are left to pave the way for yourself. There's no older sibling to show you how to get your parents to say "yes" or be the one to help you out with advice. And with no little sibling to take the blame it all falls on you - the good, bad and ugly.

Something being an only child helps you in preparation for college life is the independence. From a young age you learn to entertain yourself and as you get older you learn to enjoy your own company. So even though you'll miss your parents like crazy because everything they have done has always been for you. You are okay with being on your own.

As my own college adventure is about to start and changes to my life are happening rapidly, I can't help but think about how much my parents lives are also going to change. For the past 18 years, I have been the main focus in their lives, and now it gives them the chance to focus on other things.

Your parents will constantly worry about you. Just like you, they don't know what to expect because they have never done it before. Just like the first time they left you with a babysitter, or the first time you went to the mall with your friends without them, as much as it is unknown for you it is for them.

I couldn't imagine growing up any other way. College is all about change and theres nothing but excitement for the next adventure - no matter how much I'll miss having my own room.