What It's Like To Have Four Mothers

What It's Like To Have Four Mothers

They all love you unconditionally.

15
What It's Like To Have Four Mothers
Silent Moment Photography

“Motherhood is the greatest thing and the hardest thing.”

~ Ricki Lake

Growing up with one mother is more than anyone could ask for, but growing up with four, is even better. It’s four shoulders to cry on, four times the hugs, four times the advice, but more importantly, four times the love. I was blessed to grow up having four mothers, each that I love so much in different ways. I can’t thank them enough for everything they have done not just for me, but for everyone around them; so this letter is for you. The best thing about each and every one of you? You all love us unconditionally.

To the Mother Cult,

People who are reading this that know you will understand why I called you that. And to those who don’t know you, don’t worry they don’t mean any harm, except an insane amount of love. I don’t remember when your “name” was created or who created it, but all I know is that it suits the four of you perfectly.

I can’t thank each and every one of you enough for everything you have done for our families and myself; you truly are the pearl to the oyster. Despite your age, you all act just like your children. You know how to have fun whenever, you cry (an insane amount), you get mad at each other, you may tend to drink a little too much, YOU GOSSIP (and we all know it’s about your children because what else would you talk about), but that’s what friends do, it’s also what family does.

Cindy: You’re a breath of fresh air. You tell the truth and sadly enough life how it is. You aren’t afraid to be harsh on your own four children but now ten children because you know that we can take it and you want what’s best for us. You are also the person who most people come to for advice as well, probably because you tell it how it is and it’s what we need to hear whether we like it or not.

Aunt Jill: You always know how to have a good time. You love your wine, maybe a little too much but that’s okay. You’re always the one to suggest a movie or a game; you’re always the first person to buy a new game and then try it out with us. You may be the queen when it comes to finding out all the dirty details about our lives because you constantly ask us a million questions and won’t stop until you get some sort of answer. If you’re lucky we’ll tell you...eventually.

Aunt Deb: You know how to make someone laugh. You can instantly tell when someone isn’t having a good day, so the first thing you do is to try and make him or her smile whatever that may be. Your laugh is one of the many things I love about you. I don’t know why, but whenever you laugh I laugh even harder. Even though you may always be the one who “cancels” plans, or has something better to do (but what can be more important than the Cult?), we all still love you. Your presence constantly reminds me that I will have a good time no matter what. We could simply be hanging out at someone’s house, but because of you I know that something crazy is about to happen.

Mom: You show a tremendous amount of love it hurts. You always welcome people into our house whether you’ve met them once or five times. You have constantly reminded the Mother Cult that our house is their house and it’s something that they should never forget. You’re also known to make delicious desserts so maybe that’s why everyone keeps coming back. Whenever we have a family gathering you’re designated to make desserts whether it’s chocolate chip cookies or one of your many famous cheesecakes. I’m so thankful to have everyone else as mothers, but I’m even more thankful to have you as my real mom. I can’t imagine having someone else who I look up to each and every day than you (even though you can be a pain in the ass sometimes). I love you to the moon and back; don’t forget that.

“Motherhood is the greatest thing and hardest thing.”

I know how much you all love being mothers and I don’t even know how you manage to do it, but you all do, and I know that you wouldn't change it for the world. Don’t think that me or everyone else takes you for granted because we don’t. I don’t know what we all did to deserve you but thank you. Thank you for all being you in different unique ways that I’ve come to know and love. I look forward to when we are all together because I know I’m in for an adventure and it’s definitely one I’ll remember forever. You have shown me what it truly means to be a family, where no one gets left behind.