What It's Like To Be A History Major

"Well, that’s a useless degree, isn’t it?"

Well, actually there are many things that you can do with a history degree. Despite what people think, it’s a very broad degree that can help you get a range of careers. We’re better writers than most and we can research our butts off. We write more papers in one semester than you do in your 4 years at college.

1. “What can you do with a History degree?”

I’d actually like to work in a museum, preferably the Smithsonian. We typically get jobs in non-profit organizations, as educators researchers, communicators, information managers, historians, advocates, or as businesses people, just to name a few.

2. “That’s a very boring degree.”

Leslie Knope accurately describes the degree.

3. “That’s a worthless degree.”

At least I know something about this country, unlike some people. I’m doing what I love and that’s all that matters. I’m just happy that I enjoy my degree and that I don’t do it for the money.

4. We’re obsessed with a certain time period in a country.

Whether it’s Colonial, Medieval, Ancient, or Modern, you learn every detail that you can about that time in that country.

5. Writing papers starts to become easy.

Oh, you have a 5-page paper due and you're freaking out? Tell that to my 20-page paper. There's no greater feeling than finishing a history research paper.

6. The History Channel

When someone says that they’re obsessed with a new show on the History Channel and it’s not history related you go, "Seriously, History Channel?"

7. Don't ask us anything related to numbers.

The only numbers that I want to see are historical dates.

8. We're obsessed with museums.

Whether it's a natural history museum, art history, local history, or the Smithsonian, there's just something about being around objects that go back more years than you've been alive.

9. The Smithsonian

I mean, have you been there? It's amazing. Am I right or am I right?

10. You look up history memes on Pinterest.

I'm currently obsessed with George Washington memes. Don't mind me.

11. People say that you chose this degree because it's "easy."

You sit in the archival collections floor in the library for hours and constantly read old books for class. Let's not forget the 10 plus page papers that are due all of the time. Yeah, it's an easy major.