What it's Like Living With A Mental Illness

"It's exhausting to fight a war inside your head everyday."

458
namipasco

When people think of mental illness they think of the common psychopath or they think of people going to an asylum. Mental illness is when one is ill in the mind. You do not have to be a psychopath to be mentally ill, and you don't have to be admitted to an asylum. Most people don't understand the daily hardships faced by someone with mental illness and just automatically assume the worst about the mentally ill.

People often feel that you can’t have a mental illness unless you’ve been through something extremely tragic. Most of the time that is the cause for mental illness, but sometimes people are just born with a mental illness. Having a mental illness is a daily struggle for millions of people around the world including myself. When I was 13 I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. This was the product of having a bit of a rough upbringing. What people don't understand about mental illness is that it is not a choice. No one wants to feel down about life or themselves. The disorder I have causes me to feel a lack of motivation for anything. People often call me lazy. It’s not that I am lazy. I just do not have the motivation to do anything in life. To the people who don't have a mental illness you have no idea just how lucky you are.

People with mental illness face thousands of struggles every single day. From things as simple to getting out of bed to not even wanting to live anymore. Everyday is hard for me. I never want to get up or do anything. I’m not motivated to do anything except sleep. In fact, I always say that I would like to sleep forever. Sleeping is the only thing that makes me feel good. I know many people who have had a worse life than I have and because of that people feel I don't have the right to be mentally ill. What people don't understand is I didn't ask for this, and if I was able to get rid of my illness I would.

Living with a mental disorder is one of the hardest things in the world. You are constantly paranoid about everything and everyone. You are constantly overthinking like there is no tomorrow. Why can’t I just be normal? Why do I have to feel dead inside? What did I do to deserve this? For anyone who does not have a mental illness please be thankful and realize how lucky you are. Being able to live your life without bad thoughts stopping you must be amazing. I wouldn't know what that's like. I'm living in a constant state of anxiety over everything. I would give the world just to feel normal.