Being The Older Sibling

It is really an entirely different experience having a younger sister or brother. This is especially true when the age gap is over 3 or 4 years. Your sibling becomes more like the child you never birthed but still love.

You feel like a parent to them. Growing up you watched them and made sure they had a “good role model” to look up to. You played games with them like barbies or trucks way too many times. You thought you would never pick up another toy and have it talk to another toy ever again. Well boy were you wrong!

You gain this insight that most people don’t get unless they are the older sibling. Your younger sibling may not appreciate it so much, but hopefully in the future days they realize that you did everything out of love and for their benefit. One thing you learn, is that like your parents, you will always be giving more to your younger sibling and spending money gladly on them becuase you like to see them happy.

What you learn is that your opinion isn’t always so much appreciated...especially if you are not siding with them. Without realizing it, they do seek your approval because you support them always. You will always be honest and treat them like your own baby when you tell them that something doesn’t look good, when they shouldn’t be doing something, or whatever else it may be.

You will always put your younger sibling before yourself, and that just comes with the title of being the eldest child. But that’s a good thing. Being an older sibling teaches you love, selflessness, and above all...PATIENCE. Not one word I’m the English dictionary couldn’t substitute that learned value.

So hopefully you’re and older sibling who understands the life balance of taking on the title of bff, parent, and enemy all at once. They drive you nuts and you drive them nuts, but there is love in there somewhere forever.