What It's Like Going to a Women's College

My experience so far at Salem College.

13
Chloe Velasquez

Being a woman in the 21st century can have its ups and downs. We have voting rights, we are more independent than ever before, we get to go places without being accompanied by a man. But being a woman in the 21st century can be terrifying also; hearing about daily assaults and having to fear about a stranger following you. Most girls my age find their safe place by being with their significant other or their own house but I found mine in September of 2015; Salem College.When I had first heard of Salem, I was a girl in middle school. I laughed about the fact of a women’s college and the people that attended it, however, I didn’t know any better. Now in August, this will be my home for the next four years. People associate women colleges with the students attending it being lesbian, but not all of us are. When I told my friends I got accepted and will be attending Salem and that it’s a women’s college, I was asked if I was lesbian; to this day I still get asked that question.Going to a women’s college has many advantages. For example, the classes are much smaller compared to bigger colleges and universities like WSSU or UNCG- we have close relationships with our professors. Also, we not only form friendships- we form a sisterhood with not only the current students but with past students as well. The sisterhood at Salem begins to form before our move-in day. Our sisterhood begins when we get accepted into Salem. Being on campus has a comfortable vibe as well. We don’t have to worry about our safety because we all will protect each other no matter the situation. Another advantage of attending a women’s college is that the school has a higher graduating rate compared to co-ed colleges and universities. Statistics show that women who graduate from a women’s college are more successful- we get jobs quicker and more of us get into law and medical school. Going to a women’s college makes us more comfortable and we can be open with one another knowing that most of us have gone through the same exact thing. Some of my peers question why I chose Salem from the various other colleges and universities here in North Carolina. I respond with, “I found my home and my second family as soon as I stepped on campus.” All the other ladies can relate with me. If any woman ever gets the chance to attend a women’s college, I say go for it. You won’t ever have the same opportunities at a co-ed college as you do at a women’s college. I was so lucky to discover and visit Salem. I believe that anyone who hears about any women college, they might be iffy at first but once you step on campus, you have a sense of being home; it’s almost like magic. Each of us empowers and inspires each other by our intelligence, personalities, unique talents, and our background. We all stand united and stand strong. We will always be Salem Sisters. Once a spirit, always a spirit!