What it’s like being the passenger in a car accident
Dating

All of this and it was never your fault

13

You open your eyes in an unfamiliar place and don't know where you are or what happened to you. You hear several different stories of everyone's point of view on what happened but you have no memory of it so you can't make the judgment yourself. You can't see clearly, they took your glasses, your eyes are swollen and black. Your nurse asks you if you need anything and you ask for water but she's says she can't give you that. You're confused. You're moved to a new room which is your home for the next 11 days. You are woken up at the crack of dawn so the doctors can do wound care. You are screaming at the top of your lungs because of muscle spasms in your broken leg. You have to go through 3 blood transfusions and several surgeries. Your family and friends come to visit you with sadness in their eyes and love in their hearts. You don't know how bad your injuries are until your physical therapist wants you to stand up. You realize you will not be able to go to that concert you begged your parents to buy you tickets for. You're sent home in a wheelchair with an external fixator protruding from your pelvis, a blade plate in your femur, and wearing some obscure dress that your grandma bought because it's the only thing that will fit you right now. you have to ride in a wheelchair van and put your trust in another driver that they will get you home safely. You're back in your home and are bed ridden the rest of the summer. You scroll through social media seeing all your friends having the time of their lives. Your friends visit sometimes but it's never the same because all you can do is lay in bed. You break down because you just want to be normal again and don't see it ever getting better. You go to doctors visit after doctors visit and they tell you you should be getting the external fixator out soon but keep pushing back the date. You leave every appointment in tears wondering when you will ever get your life back. You start your senior year in a wheelchair still wearing those obscure dresses that grandma bought but cover everything up with a blanket. You never got to take your senior pictures. You have to somehow manage to keep your grades up even though you come in late every day and leave early every day. You have to miss your senior homecoming because you are in a wheelchair. You work hard at physical therapy even on your rough days because the only thing that matters is being able to walk again. You transition from wheelchair, walker, cane, and your own two feet. You walk across that graduation stage by yourself. You drive by the spot where the accident was and get very emotional because this is the place that changed your life forever. You will never be the same girl you once were seconds before the crash. All of this and it was never your fault. A couple years later your riding passenger with your boyfriend driving. You are at a stop light waiting for the light to turn green. Your boyfriend starts driving because the light is green now but suddenly you see a car come speeding towards you from your right from someone who ran a red light. You are in another accident. You hear the crash and immediately cover your head and face. Your head gets bumped anyway because you are shaken around from the impact. You have thousands of emotions rushing through you and you start crying. The policeman is trying to talk to you but you can barely get a word out. You are brought into an ambulance to get your head checked out. You have a big bump but it's fine. You remember this accident unlike the other one. You develop passenger anxiety. You are uneasy every time you get into a car with someone now. You are terrified that it's going to happen again. All of this and it was never your fault. A few months later you are riding passenger with your boyfriend again. You are going to your grandparents to have a nice dinner with them, your brother, and his girlfriend. You are about less than 5 minutes away. You are stopped behind the car in front of you because they are waiting to turn left into their driveway. You suddenly hear the familiar crash and are being shaken around and immediately close your eyes and cover your face and head. You are in another accident. You were rear ended by a car coming full force with no brakes because they weren't paying attention. You open your eyes and see that the airbags came out. You check yourself over to see if anything happened to you. You think to yourself why does this keep happening to me. You wake up the next morning with pain in the back of your head and neck. You go to the emergency room. You have whiplash. You start replaying the accident in your mind and begin to cry. You are tired. You are tired of this happening to you. You are tired of having to be strong all the time. You are tired of hearing the crash and being shaken around and covering your face and head hoping that nothing bad happens to you. You are tired and you are scared. All of this and it was never your fault.