What It's Like To Be A 21-Year-Old Fangirl

The fangirl life is even harder for us.

98

The first time I ever fell in love with a celebrity I was 12-years-old, and he was Nick Jonas. The first time I ever saw him was when Disney Channel started playing the Jonas Brothers music video for their first hit single Hold On. It seems like a lifetime ago, he was such a skinny little boy with curls and his brothers around him and now he's a sexy solo act that I still, to this day cannot get enough of. Nick, if you're reading this, hmu *winks*

My days of watching Disney Channel are long gone now, but my love for musicians is just as strong. In 2012, I fell head over heels in love with One Direction and I'm not ashamed of it. For the first time, the boys I was obsessed with were my age. Cute, British boys who sing songs about how beautiful you are...how does anyone not love them? Now, I'm a fresh faced 21-year-old starting her senior year of college and still, I'm playing their new song "Drag Me Down" on repeat. Every time I think I am getting to old and am no longer in love with them anymore, they do something stupid like drop an amazing music video and I'm a girl blinded by love all over again.

My obsession with One Direction isn't even the worst part. I'm sure by now you have heard of four, giant, Australian boys go by the name 5 Seconds of Summer. They are the teenage musicians behind the hits "She Looks So Perfect," "Amnesia," and "She's Kinda Hot." Ashton, Calum, Luke and Michael took over my life two years ago when they opened for One Directions Take Me Home tour in 2013. I fell in love with Luke Hemmings when I was 18 and he was only 16. Now, he's 19 and it is literally unfair how attractive he is. I don't know about you, but none of the 19 -year-olds I have ever met in real life look like this.

The other night, I headed down to Burgettstown, PA with my $175 soundcheck ticket to see them perform live for the sixth time (I have a problem, okay?). While my best friend and I walked into the venue, we noticed something: we were surrounded by 15-year -olds. Though there were a few other girls there around our age (aka allowed to purchase the $15 adult beverages from the snack stand) but we were definitely the minority.

The good thing? We stand out. My chances of meeting the boys are about 100 times greater because I am not running around screaming and jumping on their cars (Yes, this happened last summer in NYC.) I'm older than everyone around me and I make friends with the people working the events, which is cool in and of itself.

The bad thing? I feel insanely judged. Why do you like them? Why do you have to go to every concert? Aren't they, like, way younger than you? Yes. Because I have a problem, okay? And yes, but he's 19 so it's legal.

But you know what? I don't care that my younger sister rolls her eyes whenever I mention them. I don't care that I spend wayyyyy to much money on both One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer. I like these bands. I'm in love with these boys. I know every word to every song. And I don't care who knows it.

I made seven friends last night at the concert, because of four Australian boys who decided to stomp into my life. Bands make friends and it's cool that we all bond instantly over the music and everything about the band. So obsess over what you want to obsess over whether its a book, a movie, a tv show, a band or whatever else you like. I'm sure as hell not going to let what other people think affect my love for either band because even though I have a weird love for someone I have literally never met before, I'm still kinda hot though.