On Being Fearless

On Being Fearless

After all, fate loves the fearless

281
On Being Fearless
Whitney Todd

It’s a powerful word. The word empowered me when Taylor Swift sang the word multiple times in her old-school jammer.

Fearless.

It’s something we all strive to be. Up until recently, I did not grasp the true concept of fearless. I always thought I am fearless if I don’t have any fears. I am fearless because nothing scares me. I was living life running away from my fears, not wanting to face them; calling myself fearless. But to be truly fearless, we need to acknowledge that we do indeed have fears. We need to understand that it is okay to be scared or hesitant

Well, if I admit that some things do scare me, how do I become fearless? What does being fearless really mean? Here are some words of wisdom to clarify:

Fearless means that we face them. We look at our fears with pure determination. We tackle those fears down one by one, day by day. Hiding from our biggest fears just to have that perfect track record of claiming to be “fearless” doesn’t do anything.

Fear is a choice, the danger is real. There is a big difference between danger and fear, yet they are closely related. You have to remember that fear is not real. It is a creation of you as the creator. You are the only one that can get in your way.

Fearless does not mean that we aren’t allowed to have any fear. It simply means we are not going to let fear stop us from living life and moving forward.

Fearless means you are limitless.

A head full of fear does not have room for dreams.

Fearless does not mean that you aren’t completely terrified. It means you aren’t afraid to take the leap anyway.

Fearless means living in spite of the things that scare you to death. You can’t let those things slow you down.

The Lord pushes us to be fearless several times in the scripture. The phrase “do not be afraid” is written in the bible over and over again. Take that as God wanting us to live every single day being fearless.

We should be nothing other than fearless in life because we are fearlessly and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14 reads

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."

There are so many instances where the Lord implies that we should be fearless, ready to conquer anything and everything that comes our way.

“She is clothed in strength and dignity and she laughs without fearof the future.” {Proverbs 31:26}

Do you look at that verse differently now that you know what it truly means to be fearless? I hope that my realization can help you. I can’t stop reiterating the fact that being fearless doesn’t mean you can’t be scared.

It means that you will not let anything stop you. This is a concept that we need to use every day of our lives, no matter our age and no matter the degree of the situation. Whether it is a fear of spiders (I can vouch for you on that one) or a fear of failing, we cannot back down. Ultimately, you control whether you are fearless or not.

It’s in your hands. But remember, the Lord will always be on your side on this one. He made us without fear, but with pure confidence and grace. He knows what it means to be fearless, now it is our time to be fearless.

Most of my life, I mistakenly thought I was fearless when I really was just constantly running and hiding from my fears. I hope that this charming little thought that was put on my heart opens up your eyes like mine did. You, my dear, are fearlessly and wonderfully made.

Once you are fearless, you are free. And after all, fate loves the fearless.