What It Really Means To Be A Martins Scholar At Messiah College

For when life gives you lemons....

18
Samantha Rockhill

These past few weeks here at Messiah College have been particularly difficult for the Martin Scholars. Recently, my friends and I had to deal with a situation that made us all highly uncomfortable and disappointed. For personal reasons, I will not disclose the names of the people involved or what the situation is. However, this situation has really opened up my eyes to what it really means to be a part of the Martins Scholarship Program here at Messiah. Here are a few things that I've learned about the Martins Program during the last few weeks.

1.) You are NEVER alone!

Despite your current situation, you never have to go through it alone. Standing in solidarity with your fellow Martins is so important!

2.) You DO have a voice!

Speak up! Speak out! Use your voice. Nothing is going to happen if you just stay quiet. You need to be the change that you wish to see in the world. You are advocating for Christ and you need to express that through your words. So start those difficult conversations. Nothing productive will come from staying silent.

3.) God has a plan!

Despite what the outcome of the situation is, God always has a plan. Even if the situation didn't turn out like you planned, God isn't finished with you yet!

4.) You can't always resolve the situation....but you CAN plant the seed!

Planting the seed is the most important part of being a Martin Scholar! You may not end up changing the other party's mind, but you can still plant God's seed into them. You may never see it grow, but knowing that it's planted should give you hope for the future.

5.) Be proud of yourself!

Despite who you are, you are so loved and you should be so proud of yourself no matter what! Don't ever sell yourself short. Be who you are and let Christ work through you.