What It Means To Live In Truth And Peace

Truth and peace are arguably two of the most important virtues in life, whether you believe in God or not. Here is what they mean to me.

213
Msecnd

Merriam Webster defines truth as "the real facts about something" and peace as "a state in which there is no war or fighting."

With respect to these definitions, to live in truth is to speak and act in the utmost sincerity at all times. To live in peace is to bring tranquility and calm to every situation and conversation.

Zechariah 8:16 says, "These are the things that you shall do: Speak the truth to one another; render in your gates judgments that are true and make for peace."

Zechariah says this towards the end of chapter eight, while talking about the promises God has given for Jerusalem. At the end, he says if they follow God's message to act in truth and make for peace, people who are not Jews will clutch at their sleeves and say, "Please let us walk with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Jews are God's chosen people, and since Zechariah was written, we now know God's grace extends to all, Jews and gentiles alike. In today's society, we are the ones who must only speak words that are true and make for peace. If we do this, we can potentially have those who do not believe asking us for more information. Through our lives, God can ignite a fire in those around us, but we have to be intentional about being a light to them before he light it.

Make no mistake, God does not need us to reach the unbelievers we know. God calls us for a purpose and to be lights to specific people in our lives, but there is no shortage of those who he can call. If we do not follow God's plan for our lives, and answer when he calls us to go, He can find someone else. However, I do not want to see someone else doing what God asked me to do because I was too afraid to do it. Because I was timid and ashamed to speak truth in a conversation full of distorted words. Because I was not confident in my faith enough to bring peace to a situation that was distraught with destruction. God says his word does not return void, and anytime we speak his word, we are speaking truth and peace and will not be rejected.

I am not saying we will never be turned down. People will refuse to believe us. They will disagree, they will argue, they may even get angry. But we can rest assured knowing we did what God asked of us and know that alone is a victory.

Our world today is filled with spiritual warfare. In the last week there has been the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, a large explosion at the Lebanese capital, a talented young woman shot and killed for reasons unknown, absolutely vicious and indignant rivalry between two sides of a rape court case, and other events of emotional and physical war between people all across the world. The need for us as Christians to share the news of Christ's love and grace is stronger than ever. In a society of destructive darkness, we need to be a loving light to those in the midst of it. What better way to show love to those around us than to walk into every situation with an aura of peace and speak truth about God's grace and love for them?

Truth and peace are two virtues of Christianity that are near to my heart. There is a reason the armor of God includes our feet fitted in peace, which is what we are to walk and stand firm in and a belt of truth to hold us up and together in spiritual warfare.