What It Means To Be A Jayhawk

What It Means To Be A Jayhawk

A true Jayhawk bleeds crimson and blue 365 days a year.

137
What It Means To Be A Jayhawk
Alana Flinn

Being a Jayhawk means you have a home in Lawrence, a place so special that college students, families and retirees alike all chose this place to call their own. A Jayhawk calls Lawrence home even if they’re halfway around the world.

A Jayhawk always pictures campus at its best: with the orange leaves lining Jayhawk Boulevard on a perfect autumn day. A Jayhawk would climb 14th Street to reach the campus they love so dearly.

Jayhawks have one religion: basketball at Allen Fieldhouse. They "wave the wheat" packed in with 16,299 other Jayhawks and have the best home court advantage in college basketball.

To be a Jayhawk, one must stay true to the crimson and the blue. Jayhawks display their diplomas proudly on their office walls, sing “Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk” to their children as a lullaby and raise their families on the tradition of watching the basketball games together.

Jayhawks have a deep appreciation for traditions that have been rooted in the University’s history for nearly 150 years. They respect the history that happened in the early days of Lawrence and know that Free State means much more than just 10 types of craft beers.

Jayhawks have enough jerseys to clothe their own team, too many free t-shirts to count handed to them during Hawk Week and at least three pieces of KU memorabilia in their homes. They also wear their Jayhawk polo to work on casual Friday.

Being a Jayhawk means playing two brackets during March Madness: one where the Jayhawks win it all, and one where they at least make it to the Elite Eight. Being a Jayhawk is always hoping this is the year for another one, Bill.