What Is Love?

What Is Love?

We use the word every day, but what does it really mean?

27
What Is Love?
Photo by Jez Timms on Unsplash

When you think of love, what comes to mind? Is it happiness, forehead kisses, or even a sense of safety? My friend had asked me if I knew what love was. Come to think of it, I don't. My Mom would tell you, "love is a feeling in your heart nobody can touch but you." The more I process her definition of love, the more I understand it.

When you are at your absolute worst, and someone comes along and helps you out, a feeling grows in your heart. When you look at someone, sometimes a smile wants to instantly come to your face. When you eat something so delicious, your taste buds water. This is love.

When they bring you flowers or surprise you with your favorite food, they are being kind. When they remember your favorite color, your birthday, or even the sound of your laugh, they listen. When they compliment your hair, outfit, or nails, they are watching. When they wait for you, they are being patient. When they are honest, they speak the truth. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 says this is love.

Before I hang up the phone, I make sure to say I love you. I say it because you never know when it will be the last time you see someone. I say it when someone helped me at my worst because they were all I had. I say it to my parents because they are love. They built their love from the ground up. Then love took us in.

During Thanksgiving prayer, my Mom thanked my Dad for his life. Maybe love is trusting someone so much that you can give them their life. My house is currently decked out in red trucks, which were my Dad's favorite. Maybe love is having their favorite things turn into yours.

When a relationship ends, your heart feels a void. When you have to say goodbye to someone, your heart breaks. When we see something terrible, our heart aches. Maybe that is why even though they moved on, our hearts hurt because they are still in love.

I learned that love is the most beautiful thing on this planet. When we love, we create a bond. We create something so precious, something we treasure forever. We create memories. We create love by giving love a definition.