What Is "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?"

What Is "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?"

The second film collaboration between Disney and Lucas Films is coming.

14
What Is "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?"
collider.com

On Thursday, August 11, 2016, most of America was watching the Olympic Games on NBC. Of those people watching, some of them were waiting for a trailer. Not for “Pete’s Dragon (2016),” but for “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.” After waiting patiently for 2.5 hours, we got a second glance at “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.”

While “Star Wars” fans like myself were happy to see the trailer, a lot of people were confused on what the movie is. Hopefully for those who are confused on what the movie is, this explanation on what the movie is will help.

Please keep in mind, there may be potential SPOILERS for the movie including CAMEOS, PLOT DETAILS, etc. With that in mind, what is the movie about?

"Rogue One" is about a group of rebels, led by Jyn Erso, played by Felicity Jones, stealing of the Death Star plans just minutes before “A New Hope” begins.

But according to one of the film’s stars, Donnie Yen, the stealing of the plans could possibly be the groups second mission. During an interview with Extra TV, Yen stated that on the planet you see a majority of in the trailer has a giant crystal that gives the Death Star it’s power.

This will be different from “The Force Awakens,” because this has more of a war movie vibe set in the Star Wars universe. So it will be along the lines of “Saving Private Ryan” mixed with Star Wars.

Now you know the basic plot, who is all in the film that most Americans will recognize. You may recognize Felicity Jones from “The Theory of Everything.” The film also co-stars Forrest Whitaker (“The Butler”), Mads Mikkelsen (“Casino Royale”), Alan Tuduk (“Fireflly”), and James Earl Jones a.k.a Darth Vader. Which leads into which characters are going to be in the movie.

As seen in the trailer and in the previous paragraph, Darth Vader is going to be in this movie. Confermed characters in the movie are; Bail Organa, Princess Leia’s adopted father from “Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”, Mon Mothma, from “Return of the Jedi” (Episode VI), and Saw Gerrea, from “The Clone Wars” animated series.

Characters from previous Movies and TV shows, which is an article for next time, may include; C3P0, R2-D2, Lando Calrisian, Emperor Palpatine, the Mouse Droid, Grand Moff Tarkin, Wedge Antillies, Biggs Darklighter, Jek Porkins, Admiral Motti and Admiral Ackbar.

One character for sure who will not be in the movie is Han Solo and Chewbacca. Why we won’t see Han and Chewie in the first of three "Star Wars" spin-off movies, is because Han Solo will have his own movie in 2018.

“Rouge One” will take place between “Revenge of the Sith” and “A New Hope”. So Rey, BB-8, Poe, Finn, and Kylo Ren will not be appearing in this movie, since “Rogue One” takes place 34 years before the events of “The Force Awakens”. Technically, “Rogue One” is a prequel, because it is taking place before the original, even if it’s in the first 10 minutes of “A New Hope.”

If you are interested in seeing “Rogue One” and haven’t seen “Star Wars” in a while, the order to watch them starting with the original trilogy first (“A New Hope” through “Return of the Jedi”), then the prequel trilogy (“Phantom Menace” through “Revenge of the Sith”), and finish with “The Force Awakens.”

If you are like me and “Star Wars” is all you watch, watch them in chronological order. Start with “The Phantom Menace” and end with “The Force Awakens.”

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” will be released on December 16, 2016. Many Bothans died to bring you this information.