What Education Means To Me

Education is one of the most important aspects of my life. It has taught me numerous things throughout the years and it has kept me crawling back for more. Education is like time, constantly changing and always offering new opportunities.

Google defines education as, “1. the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university 2. an enlightening experience.” I believe that the denotation, or dictionary definition, of education does not satisfy or even begin to describe its true meaning.

To me, education is defined as critical thinking, writing, and a future career.

Critical thinking is a skill that most begin to develop during high school and that they continue to expand during college. I was always told that authority and teachers were always correct throughout my education, but the ability to respectfully question is important. Having the intelligence and courage to say that you disagree with their comment shows competence.

When people use bogus exaggerated comments while stating a point, it is easy to believe them. Education tells us to do otherwise. For example, my former boss manipulated all the women in the work-place by stating that he was paying them equally to the men. Thanks to education, I used my analytic skills and quickly recognized that the women were being paid a dollar less per hour.

Analysis is also a skill with which I have worked enormously during the first semester of college. We read many short essays, analyzed pieces, and debated in Dr. Marla Wietzman’s class. The debates always relied on how well we could analyze the material and then apply our own opinions to it.

I believe that writing is the one of the most important abilities to master through education. In order to function notably in the world, having basic “paper and pen” communication skills is necessary. While in public school, students learn from a very early age how to express their ideas in writing and how to use cursive. I still remember my first journal entry. Now, eight years later, I write for the Odyssey’s branch at UVA-Wise.

Odyssey has taught me many tricks when writing, including how to edit my own work properly and how to make my pieces insightful. Writing gives students an opportunity to express emotions and to converse in a meaningful way.

Another important aspect of education is exploration. New material is constantly being created. Education is like an eternal friend that keeps on giving, which reassures me that I will never grow inattentive. Another rewarding aspect of having an education is being able to explore future careers.

For example, while I was in high school, my school provided a career center for me to explore my possible college choices and careers. I guarantee that I would not have the knowledge about obtaining scholarships that I currently hold without having this advantage.

Education, overall, is important to me because it creates a gateway to prodigious opportunities. My aspirations in life all involve gaining knowledge. I am forever grateful for the gift of higher education and its role in shaping my life.

Education is more than the denotation. Writing gives me confidence with all aspects of life, along with personal happiness, and critical thinking. Education is truly abiding and perpetual. I look forward to spending many enlightening years ahead furthering my education.