liberal snowflakes

Browse through some social media about any current hot topic, and you'll inevitably see a litany of insults (some creative, some not) thrown across the aisle from both sides. These insults don't help anyone communicate or understand each other's viewpoints. They only allow grown adults to demonstrate their capability to sound just like kindergartners. One of the ones I see most commonly thrown toward me is "Snowflake."

Snowflake is typically a term associated with every negative stereotype about the millennial generation, despite the fact that I am 21 so I am not a millennial, but a part of Generation Z, and we seem to be getting much better reviews than our slightly older counterparts. It pokes fun at the stereotype of millennials having an inflated sense of their uniqueness, and thus importance. Using the word "snowflake" also brings to mind images of someone who can't stand the heat and is delicate, sensitive, and easily harmed. It this way, it is very similar to its much simpler (and less politically charged) cousin insults of "sissy," "baby," "wimp," and the like.

I'm not particularly sure why it came to be more associated with liberals, but I guess that it had something to do with the fact that more millennials identify and vote with liberal ideas in mind. In any case, its typical usage is not when someone is being overly self-important or has a lack of tough skin, but when the insulter views the insultee as too left-leaning or too easily offended. These attackers get frustrated by their lack of ability to convince the other person why they should change their mind, so they deign to kindergarten-esque insults because they're too sensitive to be unbothered by someone disagreeing with their opinion which they feel is much more important and correct.

So, they're...snowflakes.

Now, hold up. I'm not trying to turn the tables here and bash Republicans. While some people seem to get ridiculously immature on the internet and insult others (and there are some doozies of really low-blow insults liberals swing at conservatives), the way most people feel when confronted by someone they strongly disagree with is pretty consistent: frustrated. We ALL get bothered and can't help but shake our heads at the seemingly idiotic ideas of other people we come across. You believe that you're correct. Anything you have a strong opinion about, you're likely to consider it to be important, whether it's your Second Amendment rights or women's fertility rights.

Every single one of us, no matter the issue, no matter who you vote for, no matter the color of your skin, gets upset when someone tramples all over the values we hold most dear, that we fight for and believe in. We all want to scream a little bit when someone twists our words. Inside, we all have a bit of a sensitive "snowflake" inside of us. It's just how you handle those feeling that determines whether or not you are rude and juvenile. Hint: step one of being a mature adult is not hurting someone's feelings just because you can't win your argument.