What I'm Listening To This Week: Taylor Swift, The Shins And Dirty Projectors

7
Me

Every week, if I feel like it or if there’s no good new music to write about, I’ll revisit some older albums of my choosing. Most of them will be albums I enjoy; however, every once in a while, I’ll revisit an album that I personally despise or that I feel is overrated. For my readership, I’ll keep a balance of very popular musicians and some lesser-known cultural figures. You’ll also notice that these reviews are significantly shorter than normal reviews, as I see no reason to write so much over what has already been written about. All I want to do is give my input, so I like to keep it short and sweet.

This week’s reviews:Taylor Swift, The Shins, Dirty Projectors

Fearless (2009) – Taylor Swift

As an angsty, anti-pop and anti-country music fan, I dismissed Taylor Swift almost immediately. Fortunately, maturity moved me out of my elitist bubble. Although I didn’t want to admit it, I secretly liked songs like “Mean,” “You Belong With Me,” and “I Knew You Were Trouble.” Now that I’ve actually given time to listen to her works, it’s apparent that she might be the most consistent pop figure in a while. Fearless is Swift’s breakthrough, and for good reason. The first six songs are immaculately done, and the majority of the rest are competent enough to warrant listens past “You Belong With Me.” As with 1989, her best and my personal favorite record, the non-singles are nearly as great as its singles. Songs like “Hey Stephen,” “Breathe” and “Forever and Always” make you wonder why they weren’t singles either. However, people who argue her country music is superior to her pop side have a case with this album. She romanticizes most of her tales of love and love lost, but for her age at the time, do you blame her? It’s not her first album, but it’s definitely the one that made heads turn and ears perk. A-

(Key Tracks: "You Belong With Me," "Love Story," "Fearless")

Oh, Inverted World (2001) – The Shins

As with any indie rock band, hype is inevitable if the songs are irresistible enough. While people who were skeptical weren’t wrong to dismiss The Shins, they did miss out. They weren’t their generation’s Beach Boys, but they were nearly as joyful. This debut isn’t as masterful or cohesive as their moment of greatness, Chutes Too Narrow, but it’s more than just a trial run. For me, The Shins have never had that one defining song, but the general consensus will almost always point to “New Slang.” A great song, but often held too high in regard for its own good. But aside from the one or two splotches onhere, it’s simply nothing more than a good pop record. After all, isn’t that what The Beatles did so well before Rubber Soul? A-

(Key Tracks: "New Slang," "Know Your Onion," "Caring is Creepy"=)

Bitte Orca (2009) – Dirty Projectors

I listened to their 2012 effort, Swing Lo Magellan, first, and it was a challenge, to say the least. Granted, Swing Lo Magellan was better after listening to this record, but it was not as sharp as this one. To enjoy what the Dirty Projectors put out, I believe this album is the essential starting point. It took me a while, but I eventually came to tolerate David Longstreth’s quirky singing style, and even embrace it at times. His unwillingness to stay on any given pitch is challenging, but I can’t think of anyone who has a style as peculiar as his. Now if you can get past that, then you’re all set to enjoy this record. Is it weird? Yes, but what we have here is arty pop-rock that’s never been done as elegantly or gracefully by any of their indie rock contemporaries, except for maybe Vampire Weekend. “Stillness Is The Move” is the obvious highlight, but Angel Deradoorian shines on the blissful “Two Doves,” a soothing acoustic-with-strings ballad. There’s no debate here. This is easily the best Dirty Projectors record. Experimental nothing; this is hipster coffee-shop music, and I’ve still yet to hear a style quite like theirs. A

(Key Tracks: "Stillness Is The Move," "Two Doves," "Useful Chamber," "No Intention")