A Letter To Younger Me — What I Wish I Knew Then

Things I wish I knew then, but am glad I know now

79
Gabriella Bartula

I think we all have things that we wish we could tell our younger selves. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway "older us" can warn "younger us" (unless time travel becomes possible, which I'm still hoping for). I also believe that we can get caught up in the feeling of "I wish I knew that then," instead of being thankful for all the countless lessons we've learned since. Maybe younger me can never hear these words, but, hopefully, others can be impacted by them, perhaps even my own children someday.

Dear Younger Me –

To the three-year-old who, because of a deep love for Peter Pan, was determined to figure out how to fly: *Sighs* You really did love that boy, didn't you? I know you were frustrated because you couldn't fly to Neverland to be with him, but you were determined. Keep that determination; it's going to help fuel you on later in life.

To the little girl that passionately professed that she was going to grow up and become a mermaid: Oh, sweet one. You're going to find out mermaids aren't real but please never lose that innocent hope you kept kindled deep within you.

To the toddler that was so taken aback by the realization that promises can be broken: Yes, little one. You'll learn that many promises can be made, but not all of them will be kept, but that's okay. It'll hurt, but remember to forgive. Remember to move on. It'll get a little more difficult to do the older you get, but learn now and forgiveness won't be so impossible later on.

To the grieving granddaughter who carried the guilt of not growing closer her grandpa in the last few years of his life: Speaking of forgiveness, learn to forgive yourself. It's alright to have that regret and learn from it, but to let it beat you down for four years isn't healthy for you, love. Grandpa knew you loved him and he loved you, and you'll see him again someday.

To the young lady who did not want to move away from her friends and family: Yeah, this one can still hurt, but don't count this move out of your life. It's a major change, I know, but it's still a part of your life. There's going to be a lot of opportunities to grow, and if you become so wrapped up in thinking how you wish you were back home, you're going to miss them! Embrace the past and hold the memories close, but accept the challenge of the present.

To the girl who spent nights crying from heartbreak: Grieve, dearest. Grieve. Joy will come in the morning, but don't pent up the hurt. I know it feels like that if you take the time to mourn, you'll never get back up; I know it feels like you're drowning and that taking the time to grieve is like opening your mouth amidst swirling waters. I know you feel like you can't afford to take that breath, but you need to! Cry, sob, scream at the sky, do whatever it takes to pour out that flood of emotions. It will really help. Please, please don't lock it inside of you.

Finally, to the "older me" who can look back on "younger me" and feel regret: Yeah, there were mistakes. Yeah, there were times you messed up. Don't, however, spend your life obsessing on the regret, on the would've-should've-could'ves. Those slip-ups are part of who you become; they are all pieces of building the young woman you will grow into. Learn from them, but don't obsess over the mishaps.

Sincerely,

The Woman You Became