10 Things I Learned When I Traveled To California

10 things i learned while visiting california

Here's a list of 10 things that I learned about myself and California while visiting there last week.

399
Kayla McGuff

I recently traveled to San Fransisco California for the first time, and it truly changed my life so much that I felt the need to write about it. This says a lot because I have also traveled to parts of Europe and Hawaii, and I didn't think it could get any better than that!

1. Alabama is too small for me.

I've always known that I wanted to move out of Alabama as soon as I could, but visiting California just showed me that there is a whole different lifestyle outside of these southern states.

2. There are just so many openminded people in one state.

I have blue hair. I am an openminded person. But I still get a few strange looks or comments like "your natural hair would look so much better" when I'm in my hometown. But in San Fransisco, I got at least 5 genuine compliments on my blue hair a day!

3. Speaking of blue hair, everyone has dyed hair!

When you have dyed hair and you meet someone else with crazy colored hair, you automatically bond with that person through your creativeness. I bonded with half of the state.

4. I Feel like San Fransisco has a place for everyone.

Whether it be China Town, Fishermans Wharf, Haight Ashbury, The Castro, or The Mission, there is most likely somewhere where you belong in San Fransisco alone. If you're like me it might just be at the dog park across the street from the Painted Ladies.

5. I think sea lions are even cuter than dogs. At least from a distance.

Don't get me wrong I'm a dog lover all the way, but I cried so hard at Pier 39 when I saw the tons and tons of sea lions being the good boys that they are. They are just big blubbery water dogs, and I love them.

6. I thought that the entire state would reek of marijuana but it, in fact, did not.

The only time I caught the slightest whiff was when we first turned on to Ashbury Sreet, which was honestly expected.

7. There weren't as many naked people as I was told to prepare for.

Maybe I just picked a good time of year. Maybe I just didn't notice the naked people. Who knows? Maybe the weather just wasn't the right temp for all of the streakers out there.

8. The souvenir shops were a lot cheaper than I had expected.

Everyone says that California is expensive, and they may be correct. BUT they obviously have NOT been talked into a sweet deal for sunglasses in China Town the way that I have. Three pairs of REALLY NICE sunglasses for $30.00? Wham bam thank you, Maam!

9. California does not care about my southern accent. At all.

Everywhere else that I have ever traveled, I have always had people freaking out over my accent. It was not brought up once while I was there.

10. Just one part of California is more eco-friendly than the whole state of Alabama.

They charge 10 cents a bag for the plastic bags we use when shopping, to get you to bring your own reusable bag. They have SO much more public transportation than we do. And almost every trash can is accompanied by a recycling bin. Alabama needs to step it up, just saying.

I love my home in Alabama, don't get me wrong. But I think and hope everyone gets the chance to explore new and different places like this. It was truly a blessing for me. I think all of the amazing things in the world are just a million times more amazing once you get out and see them for yourself. You would be amazed at the world that's out there waiting for you.