Dear Future Self

Dear Future Self, Here's What I Hope You Know

At the end of the day, happiness is all that really matters.

112
Julia Caccavale

As a college student, it's typical to constantly be thinking about my future. I have a variety of aspirations that I hope to achieve in the next 10 or so years such as becoming a dentist and marrying my soulmate, but it's uncertain that any of these dreams will be granted.

The important thing to remember is that even if I don't accomplish what I hoped to as an 18-year-old girl, it's going to be okay. I've always been a believer that everything happens for a reason and God has a plan for everyone, and I hope that I never lose that sense of optimism. There are only certain things in life that I have control over, and the rest I must leave up to fate.

All I can ask for myself in the coming years is to be happy and to eliminate anything in my life that would keep me from achieving that. I've always been the kind of person that doesn't deal well with change, but if something or someone in my life is making me unhappy, I realize that it's important to part with it.

My life revolves around my family and friends which is something I've always taken pride in. Although friend groups have reformed multiple times throughout my life, I have faith that in the coming years I'll have met all of the friends that I will keep in my life forever and will be honorary aunts and uncles to my children.

I have no doubt that even when I grow older and move out of the house, I'll maintain the same relationship with my family that I do now. I'll always be mommy and daddy's little girl and my sister will remain my best friend. I'll continue to keep in contact with all of my cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents. I will never have shame in the fact that I rely on my family for many things in my life with the largest ones being happiness and love.

I've already made a promise to myself to continue trying my hardest in college in order to secure a place in dental school and eventually open my own practice. It's not an option for me to give up on this dream even when organic chemistry or calculus seems "too hard."

This idea doesn't only apply to school - there will always be bumps in the road in life, but I hope to always stay strong and have the courage within me to overcome them. I know that there will never be a battle I have to fight alone because I have a surplus of people in my life who love me and would be more than willing to help in any situation.

There are many characteristics I can admit I need to reform and I plan to do so as time goes on. My goal in life has and always will be to treat others kindly and be a person that myself and my loved ones could be proud of. Like everyone else, I'm only human and I'm not perfect in any way, but I hope to have a positive impact on everyone who I come in contact with.

Along these lines, there are many qualities I possess which I hope to never lose such as my sense of adventure, willing to lend anyone a helping hand, realizing the value of a dollar, and so much more. Although life is going to continue changing whether I like it or not, I know it's of great significance to keep these traits in order to be the person I'm satisfied being.

I hope that in the next decade or so I can reflect on my life now and realize that events that once seemed like the biggest deal could become something worth almost no importance. Whether it's failing a test, fighting with a friend, or anything else I've wasted tears over, everything works out in the end. Instead of beating myself up over something that didn't go as expected, I hope to always use it as a learning experience and grow from it.

Even if I stray from my hometown as I get older, I hope to always be grateful for everything that it's done for me and always view it as home. Westchester is where I became the person I am today and as of right now, it's all I really know. It's extremely possible that I won't live in this county my entire life, but I'm very thankful to have grown up in such a beautiful place.

I can't even begin to imagine what my future will look like because my life is constantly changing, but no matter where I am in life, all I can wish for is joy and love and I'll be content.