What Happened To "Supergirl?"

What Happened To "Supergirl?"

Supergirl has a new kryptonite, and it's her writers.

689
What Happened To "Supergirl?"
Melty

I need to preface this by saying that I have been a fan of the show "Supergirl" since the very beginning. I absolutely loved the first season and when it almost wasn't renewed I was about to riot. That being said, I am severely disappointed by the route the second season has taken so far.

Let's just review the good things first. I will admit that I, like so many fans of the show, have fallen head over heels for the relationship between Supergirl's sister, Alex Danvers, and tough cop, Maggie Sawyer, lovingly nicknamed "Sanvers" by the fans. This is the first LGBTQ romance "Supergirl" has seen, and it has been done so beautifully. From Alex's coming out to the growth between Alex and Maggie, nothing could be more perfect.

I also love the addition of Lena Luthor this season. "Supergirl" has always been a master of showing strong and diverse female characters, and Lena is no exception. She may not be a superhero, but Lena is incredibly smart and technological. She and Supergirl, better known as Kara Danvers, have an amazing and dynamic friendship, as well.

Now, for the bad.

The first moment I realized I would be disappointed with the second season was when Kara and her new boyfriend, James Olsen, broke up in the first episode. Why did this upset me so much? Here's a little context.

"Supergirl" originally aired on CBS. Throughout its 22-episode run on CBS Kara and James built a slow, but steady friendship that eventually grew into romance. I loved that the writers didn't jump the gun and make Kara and James a couple in the tenth episode, and instead waited until their relationship was fully developed in the last episode of the first season.

Now after waiting 22 episodes for my favorite couple to finally get together, the first episode back after about a five-month break tears them apart. I had a feeling this was because after getting canceled on CBS, "Supergirl" was picked up by The CW. I figured that whoever the new writers were, didn't care so much about Kara and James, or they wanted Kara to focus on more important storylines in regards to her heroism than a relationship. At least, that was what Kara herself said.

Yet, just a few episodes later, we're introduced to a new character: Mon-El. He's classically handsome, an alien like Kara, and most importantly, white, unlike James. I was confused by his presence until he started flirting with Kara and then I realized why they had her break up with James; so that she could be with a conventionally attractive, white man.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with a white man and a white woman being in love. In fact, my favorite movie is "Titanic" so I really don't think I have any place in saying that. But it's hard to deny how racist the writers are sounding here. They break Kara up with a black man she just started dating after 22 episodes. Three episodes later, Mon-El, the new white man, becomes a main cast member. Nine episodes after that, Mon-El and Kara are together.

See where I'm coming from?

Now, issues of racism aside, this is not the only problem I have with this season. While this season has introduced us to badass new female characters like Maggie, Lena and even an alien named M'gann M'orzz, it has forgotten the badass female character in its title: Supergirl.

From the first episode of the new season, none of the storylines have revolved around Kara. Instead, Kara either gets lumped into someone else's storyline, or her one story is overshadowed by a man. The first couple of episodes, her plot revolved around Superman helping her out around the city. Since then, it has been about problems with Mon-El and helping train him to become the next Superman.

The show is called "Supergirl" right? That should mean Supergirl is the star. Yet, every single episode, her own thoughts and actions are put aside in order to promote Mon-El's own problems. Mon-El wants to become a superhero but is too selfish? Well, Supergirl can help! Even when Supergirl is at the forefront, for example in last week's episode when an alien tried to force her to marry him, the writers manage to make the episode about Mon-El's jealousy and love for Kara.

I'm not upset about Kara getting a new love interest, albeit a terrible one. I watch a lot of teen shows, I know how it goes. What I'm so upset about is the sidelining of Kara, the star of the show, in order to show off a boring white man. "Supergirl" is an amazing show because of Kara, she is the heart and soul. She is the one who shows girls that we can all be heroes, no matter who we are or where we come from. If we forget about her then the show loses all meaning.