What happened to the Breakfast Club after Detention?

Enjoy this article over a bowl of ceral

11141
quotesgram.com

Confession. There are moments I like to imagine living in an 80s nostalgic universe. It seemed like a more fascinating time for teens/young adults overloaded with big hair bands, vibrant clothing, and relatable films with memorable messages. Recently, I've been enveloping myself with classic coming-of-age films including Can't Buy Me Love, Stand by Me, Sixteen Candles, and my all time favorite, The Breakfast Club. I'll confess that if it had not been for Anna Kendrick's character (Beca) referencing the movie in Pitch Perfect, I would have probably never added it (The Breakfast Club) to my Netflix queue. I've watched the movie a dozen times, and I'm always left with two concerns. Mascara raining down my cheeks, and unanswered questions. If it's called The Breakfast Club, why are they only displayed eating lunch (shouldn't they just call themselves the Lunch Bunch)? Does Bender ever escape his bountiful detention sentences? Did Andrew somewhat have a crush on Allison before her makeover? However, I think we can all agree that the most important question is, what happened to The Breakfast Club after the credits rolled?

The movie itself is extremely unique because of the themes involving love, friendship, and self-acceptance. You could say that several films explore those themes. The Breakfast Club, however knew how to analyze those subjects while relating to the emotional rollercoasters and phases adolescents experience. There's a sociological take on the film, which adventures with stereotypical high school cliques. We have the sports player (Andrew), queen bee (Claire), brainiac (Brian), school outcast (Allison), and the juvenile delinquent (Bender). The only way society could bring them together is with a forced interaction, represented through detention. At first, they begin to make assumptions about each other based on their general knowledge, and there's a high level of tension and even jealousy. Eventually, they all bond and one by one, reveal a somber and realistic piece of information about themselves. This not only shocks the other students, but also the viewers. Bender and Andrew begin displaying feelings for Claire and Allison, and eventually leave detention with two separate kissing scenes revealed. While the love scenes may have seemed a bit cliché in a high school flick, it all came down to the characters realizing they can't judge a book by their cover. Even the most talented students have their struggles, but the struggles are what makes us human.

Although the movie ends on a positive note, I can't help but wonder whether or not the characters remained friends after detention, or did they return to their cliques and never speak to each other again? It's not a concept I like to think about too deeply, especially since I enjoy at times being naive and believing that most teen films end in some sort of happily-ever-after scenario. However, the audience never gets that closure with The Breakfast Club.Though we'd like to believe they sat together at lunch, hung out at functions, and wrote letters to each other after high school, we are left to interpret what happens next. Since the film took place in a school setting, it was probably realistic that they said hi to each other in the hallways occasionally, but returned to their social groups. What makes this idea even more daunting is the fact that this concept of cliques still exists in today's society. Even in college.

When I first began my sophomore year at Muhlenberg (originally was a transfer), I came in with an open mind. Everyone had warm smiles on their faces, held open the doors, and always greeted each other. Everyone seemed to bond with other students, despite belonging to a sports team, sorority, theater production, etc. However, one of my friends eventually brought me to the realization that cliques don't diminish after high school. They just resurface in college. The other night, I was having a discussion with my friend about college being an opportunity to get to know others outside of their social groups. She pointed out that the during the lunch/dinner rush at the dining hall, the majority of students are probably eating with their groups. It's almost like the Mean Girls theory, where every social group divided by class schedules, uses meal time as a way to reconnect with their cliques. Although this idea is somewhat true; I'd have to disagree with what my friend said. College is like the detention scene of The Breakfast Club. The past two years I've attended Muhlenberg College, I have made friends with some sorority/fraternity members, theater majors, sports players, and those belonging to completely divergent majors from me. So while colleges, and even society can be a breeding ground for cliques, we can all agree that life is an amazing opportunity to spread our wings, interact with others who share similar/diverse hobbies, and become social butterflies.

The Breakfast Club has left me in high hopes that the students (although may have gone their separate paths), began to grow more accepting of their other peers. Maybe Claire and Allison grabbed a meal at lunch and discussed their college future, or all of the "club" members attended one of Andrew's wrestling matches. They may not have become best friends, but at least they've come to terms with the fact that everyone has flaws. I have countless flaws, but I'm still accepted by my group of friends for being me. To be honest, I don't even belong in just one specific group. I go with the flow, join various activities/organizations, and enjoy the little moments in life I create with people. People are not labels, and labels don't define anyone, like the characters in the movie. We may never know what happened after the song, "Don't you Forget about Me" blasted as the screen went black. The real take aways are that the 80s were a great time to be alive, and that you are your own definition despite what others believe.