What Going Away For College Has Brought Me

A bunch of new adventures and memories.

10
www.abcnews.go.com

College, that word can be so exciting to hear to some and maybe even a little intimidating to hear to others. Both however are perfectly normal to feel and there is nothing to be ashamed of if college intimidates you. College is pretty scary because we have to figure out who we are and what we want to do for the rest of our lives. It's pretty weird if you ask me, I can hardly decide what I want to eat let alone pick a major that I would enjoy for four years and so on. Other things that we have to decide when it comes to college is choosing whether we want to commute to one close to home or go away for college.

This is a big decision to make and honestly you just have to make a pros and cons list. A decision like this requires some time to think about and what you think will be the best for you. Some people just know right off the bat that they want to go away for college. I was like this, I knew since I was a freshman in high school that I wanted to go away for college in a place that no one knew me. However, for others it might make them more comfortable if they just commute to one close to home and that is more than okay to do so.

Going away for college I can honestly say has been the best decision I could have ever made for myself. It brought me so many new beginnings and memories. It has brought me responsibility and knowledge just as it has brought me my very dear friends. Living in a dorm without my parents was such a scary yet interesting first experience, the first thing I thought of was "sweet, no rules". However, I learned that without them I really had to learn how to be independent and take care of myself. I can definitely say I matured and became more responsible, just because my parents weren't around didn't mean I can just go crazy and not care for college. I knew my studies came first and fun came later and well of course I did get a little home sick the first couple of months but that slowly turns less painful. I knew that this is what I wanted and I focused on just getting myself out there.

In high school I didn't really go out much, I stayed in my room pretty much all throughout those four years. I just really didn't enjoy the area I grew up in, I kinda felt out of place which is why going away to college I knew would be really great for me. I only had two close friends and I only hung out with them if I ever did decide to go out. That's why heading into college I knew I didn't want to lock myself in my room anymore, it was time to get out of my shell. First couple of nights in college I met so many people and have found my dear close group of friends. I am more than grateful to have met them and they know exactly who they are, so I just wanted to say thank you to them for everything.

College is such a big milestone in one's life, unfortunately not everyone can afford to go and that just breaks my heart. There are so many people out there who deserve to go but just can't afford it and that's just not fair at all. However, if are able to go to college and do decide that you want to attend a college that is away from home I wish you nothing but the best. Going away to college has brought me nothing but pure happiness and I can only hope that it brings others the same feeling.