What Freshmen Year Has Taught Me

What Freshmen Year Has Taught Me

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

14
What Freshmen Year Has Taught Me
Lauren Wilkinson

Freshman year has gone by unimaginably fast, and it's (to say the least) frightening that college will be over for me in three years. It feels like I just started, and now I'm a fourth of the way through this great adventure. I used to be so excited to grow up and wanted time to move faster, but now that I'm growing up, I realize that I want time to slow down. College is a great ride, though, and I don't remember why I was ever nervous in the first place to be away from home.

This year has taught me a lot about myself, and I've changed a lot just in this first year of being a college student. I used to be very shy and was always afraid to talk to people I didn't know, but now I'll strike up a conversation with anyone and don't know when to shut up. Part of that is due to my amazing Phi Mu sisters, and part of that is from me embracing the person I'm becoming and running with it.

I don't worry about what people think of me (not that I ever really did), and I do what is best for me and my future. That's one of the biggest lessons I've learned-- it's OK to put myself before others if it will make me happier in the end. I recently learned this lesson, too, in making the decision to transfer colleges. It was very difficult for me to admit to myself that I was unhappy in my current situation; I had to come to terms with the fact that I would be leaving one of my best friends and pretty much starting all over again at a new school. However, I'm very excited now because I know that everything happens for a reason (as my BFF says), and my gut is telling me this is the right thing to do for myself.

Another very important lesson I've learned as a freshman is never turning down an opportunity just because it scares you. Are you scared to rush a sorority because you don't like talking to people you don't know? Do it anyway!

Are you avoiding going out with your girls because you're 'just not feelin' it?' Do it anyway! Have fun in college, don't drag yourself down all the time with work. College is the last possible time to go crazy and experiment (as people like to call it) without your job depending on it or people having a plausible reason to judge you for doing something ridiculous. Go out and have a good time and take advantage of every opportunity you possibly can.

You don't want to wake up senior year realizing that you didn't do everything you had on your freshmen bucket list, because you decided to stay in every night at your desk and do work. I'm not saying that grades don't matter, because they absolutely do; I'm saying that you should embrace other experiences in college besides the educational ones.

My point is, don't dread college (because ew, school work), look forward to it. It can be overwhelming, but don't drag yourself down by moping around - remember why you decided to come to college and think happy thoughts. It really is the best time of your life, and live every minute of it to the fullest, even if you're doing something completely ridiculous that your parents would not approve of...