What Freshman Year Taught Me

What Freshman Year Taught Me

Some important stuff I've learned so far.

25
What Freshman Year Taught Me
Alex Rice

As I come to the end of my freshman year in college, I have started thinking about what I’ve learned this year. Academically I am much better off than I was when I first came here, but I’ve gained knowledge on much more than the history of the Peloponnesian War and what happens to a market-wide demand curve when the price changes. I’ve started to learn what it’s like to live on my own and create my own identity, and I feel like I have already gained so much insight that I’m almost nervous what the next three years will reveal to me.

First of all, first impressions matter but they do not make or break you. There are many professors and students who I have met and have gotten a really negative perception. Other girls seem standoffish and distant, boys act too cool for you and teachers can appear really intimidating and unfeeling in the front of the class. I’ve learned to never judge too harshly. First impressions can be right sometimes, but a lot of the times they are wrong. Smiling at the seemingly cold girl might make her say hi and start a conversation. That boy might have been too nervous to talk to you first. And your professor is usually happy to help anyone who is trying hard in his class.

You really are going to have to choose between the three S’s: sleep, studying and social life. It’s not possible to do all three perfectly, but all three are equally important. There’s nothing wrong with staying in on a Saturday night to catch up on some sleep when you have had a stressful week. There’s also nothing wrong with going out all nights of the weekend if you feel relaxed enough to do so. It’s all about time management and doing what feels right. It would be depressing to only focus on your studies and shun all human interaction, but you can’t party 24/7 without getting kicked out of school either, so it’s all about balance. Also, not sleeping is not an option. No one gets anything done well or does anything right by never sleeping.

Friends matter so much. Sometimes, college really sucks. The pressure of grades can get to you. You could feel homesick. You could miss your friends from home or sometimes even wish you could transfer just to get away from your current problems. The friends you become close to are your lifelines to sanity. They help you put things into perspective, help you laugh when you’re upset and are always ready and willing to help. You need to appreciate them as much as they do you. You will have to be the shoulder to cry on or the ear they complain to as well if you want to keep them as friends. And trust me, you want to keep your friends in this environment.

College is a great time, but it can’t just be one big party. It’s vitally important to get a good education to be able to succeed in today’s society, but the way you structure your environment makes or breaks you. You also learn so much about yourself--you are still growing as a person and figuring out what you really want. To really succeed, be open to all options. Consider everything.

Experiment now and really find your passion while you can, whether that means taking different classes or joining a new club or sitting at a new place in the cafeteria. On that note, cheers to freshman year for everything I've learned so far; can't wait to see what's coming next year.