What Feminism Means To Me

What Feminism Means To Me

And why I will never be afraid or ashamed to admit I am a feminist.

57
What Feminism Means To Me

In light of the recent events that have been happening in this country, I feel like I need to get this message out there now more than ever. After seeing all of the controversial statements and issues surrounding the rights and treatment of women that have emerged these past few weeks (but have really been around for years), I can't just sit back and remain silent anymore. Those of you who know me know that I am extremely passionate about women's rights and equality for all people. I consider myself to be, without a single shred of doubt, a feminist.

Unlike me, however, many women (and men) these days are afraid to identify as feminist, even if they do support equal rights. There are a lot of different reasons for this, but they usually all revolve around the negative stereotypes, misconceptions, and just plain slandering of the feminist movement and its supporters. Even though there is a very clear and understandable definition of what feminism is--“the belief in full social, political, and economic equality of men and women,” if you're wondering--most people base their opinions on all the stereotypes and hate they’ve been fed their whole lives.

As for me, I don't need a dictionary to know what I believe in. No, what I believe has been instilled in me by my parents since I was a young girl. They have always taught me, and my brother, to treat everyone equally, no matter what gender, race, sexuality, or other demographic they may be. I was told that I could be anything I wanted to, and to never let anyone, especially a man, tell me any different. These are the values that I grew up with and these are the values that shape my definition of feminism. To me, feminism means that everyone, regardless of their sex, race, class, sexuality, and/or any other identities, is treated equally and that there is no right or wrong way to be a woman (or any other gender identity).

If a woman wants to become a doctor or a lawyer or President, more power to her. If a woman wants to be a stay-at-home mother, good for her.

If a woman wants to wear a lot of makeup and more "revealing" clothes, she has every right to do so. If a woman wants to go without makeup and wear more conservative clothes, that's fine too.

If a woman wants to play around and express her sexuality in any way she deems fit, she is not a slut or a whore. And she is definitely not "asking" for anything. This works the other way around too. If a woman's more private and old-fashioned in terms of her sexuality, she is not a prude or a tease.

If a woman wants to remain single and childless, that's her decision. If a woman wants to settle down and pop out a few kids, she can do that too. If a woman wants to do anything with her body for that matter, it's her own d*** business.

If a woman is sensitive and wears her emotions on her sleeve, she is not weak. If a woman is more reserved and hides her feelings, she's not cold or heartless or "un-feminine."

If a woman is confident and knows what she wants and goes for it, she is not a b****. If a woman's not as sure of herself, she's not a doormat to walk all over and take advantage of.

If a woman likes sports or cars or any other typically "masculine" thing, that's okay. She's not a tomboy or a "lesbian" for doing so. If a woman likes typically "feminine" things like makeup, clothes, or the color pink, she is not just a "girly-girl." She is a complex human being, like the rest of us, who just so happens to like those things.

I could go on with more examples like these, as I'm sure you've guessed, but I think I've made my point. With feminism, women can do, say, or be anything they want. There is no right or wrong way to be a woman, or a man for that matter. Feminism works to liberate both women and men from their traditional gender roles, and therefore benefits people of all genders and identities. So, if you were to ask me what feminism means to me, this is what I would tell you. And this is why I will continue to fight for it.