What Feminism Actually Is

What Feminism Actually Is

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people." -Cheris Kramarae

48
What Feminism Actually Is
The Huffington Post

Feminism means women's equality. Men and women are created equally; therefore, they should be treated equally. No wage gap, no missed opportunities, no differences. However, upon attending a liberal arts college, I can see that many people do not abide with that definition. So, I would like to unpack what I believe feminism actually is.

Some women seem to think that feminism means that all men are pigs, that no man has good intentions (or all he wants is sex), and that all men are garbage. This is the OPPOSITE OF THE TRUTH. Feminism is the practice of women's advocacy, not the downfall of all men. I know several men who are the opposite of the description I just gave. My father is a wonderful man who takes care of my mother, my brothers, and I, and he would never do anything to hurt us. My grandfather is the sweetest man to ever walk the planet. He constantly talks about how beautiful my grandmother is, even after decades of marriage, two kids, and 3 grandkids (if he only wanted sex, that's a slow play). I have many friends that are kind young men that adore their girlfriends, and my own significant other would eat a roach before he hurt me on purpose. If we break down all men, we do to them what we wish they wouldn't do to us. We as women cannot disrespect men and then expect for them to give us the utmost respect. If nothing else, its hypocritical.

There is also the common misconception that a woman has to lash out against gender roles in order to be a feminist. Confession- I want to have a ton of kids. I want a whole gaggle of little ones running around my house. I want to be in charge of the cooking and cleaning, and I want my husband to be the head of the household. Does that mean I'm not a feminist? NO! I still want to work and earn money to bring home. If I make more than my husband, fine. If he makes more than me, so be it. I don't want those things because "society has oppressed me into believing that I should." I enjoy cooking and cleaning, and I want to do those things as a grown person. That doesn't make me less of a woman. It means I'm sure in what I want.

I hope this provoked some thought. Good luck back at school everyone!