What Even Is The Met Gala?

What Even Is The Met Gala?

A look inside fashion's most prestigious event of the year.

9
What Even Is The Met Gala?
Look.co.uk

So, what exactly is the Met Gala?

If you’re not sure you’re not alone, in fact, you are in the majority. Is it a respectable event, honoring art and culture or a strange parade of celebrities? And what’s with all the mystery? Ever notice that all you know about it is what people wore to the event? What goes on in there?

I’ll tell you.

Kind of. Truly, there is a bit of a black-hole of unknown when it comes to the main event. The night is held to raise funds for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s fashion exhibit. The exhibit, which changes every year sets the theme or loosely interpreted dress code for attendees. Last year we saw “China: Through the Looking Class” and this year went futuristic with “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology.”

Phase one of this crazy shin-dig is the red carpet, or “Cocktail Hour” during which you’ll find Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malick posing for pictures, Taylor Swift blinding with her new platinum hair and shocking millions with Goth-black lips and Beyoncé turning heads just when you think the red carpet is over. After attendees walk the red carpet, they are invited to view the exhibit and find their seats.

Next is the “Formal Dinner,” in which there is entertainment in the form of a musical guest. Last year, Rihanna work, work, work, work, worked the stage. This year’s musical guest was The Weeknd, hope he could feel his face as he sang to each $30,000 ticket guest as they watched from their $275,000 table.

Now, before you get excited let me just sit you down and stifle your dreams. Yes, you! I know what you’re thinking because you are clever and cunning like me. You know that someday, in the very very distant future you are headed for greatness and sure to make millions! Do we know exactly how this is going to be achieved? That’s neither here nor there and surely does not stop us from enjoying the occasional extravagant Sunday brunch even as the checking account screams PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED. The broke college girl still gotta live a little AMIRITE LADIES? I’m with you, I am. The catch is this, dear friend, even when you have reached your destined glory and have millions in your pockets, the dolla bills to throw at a new Prius and new house (or Met Gala ticket and table), you need the approval of her royal fashionista highness Anna Wintour. That’s editor and chief of Vogue Magazine, Anna. (You know the one Miranda Priestly was based on in "The Devil Wears Prada"? Yeah, her. Okay, good luck!) She must deem you worthy of attendance to even be invited to lay down the big bucks on attending. (That's right, it's invite-only!)

Ms. Wintour has been the chairwoman of the event since 1995. Go ahead and make your millions, but know that your average Joe can’t simply purchase the golden ticket to the Oscars of the East Coast. (Not to assume that you are average because like I explained before, I know that you, like me, are clever and cunning so I am sure you plan on putting your ticket to good use and fully appreciating the exhibit, you fancy cultured person, you.) Even when a high-profile brand purchases a table, each butt in those seats must be a-okayed by chairwoman Anna.

Let’s say that this doesn’t happen for either of us, which will inevitably bond us at the hip in bitterness. When we finish wiping our tears with our hundred dollar bills we will come to our senses and realize that the sun is still shining, and it’s a beautiful day. (Or is that what we do when we low-key failed a lab final but live in Southern California so, you know, it's sunny.) The point is this friend, there is still much to enjoy about the gala (I think we can refer to it as just the “gala” now that we are so fancy and cultured and educated on the topic, if that’s alright with you!) Even from our couches or desk chairs, there is much to enjoy from the wonders of the television and internet.

This year, Selena Gomez wore Louis Vuitton, but also maybe forgot this was a high fashion event? Still, quite refreshing to see combat boots on a red carpet.

Zoe Saldana seemed to think the future of technology will be...peacocks? The star stunned in one of the few full-length ball gowns. Dolce & Gabbana gave her the royal feather treatment.

Lady Gaga did not disappoint. The fashion chameleon has been out of the spotlight recently but shone bright in a silver metallic jacket and not much else, designed by Versace.

While it may be quite the show of a star-studded event, it does give fashion a microphone into which fashion may shout, "Hey! Look at me! I am my own interesting and unique form of art full of history and a promising future! Not just the frivolous frenzy of pretty things! I AM A THING."

So, maybe I'll see you there someday, and if not, I'll see you on the couch in front of the tv screen and we can wonder why fortune came but not fame, and how could Anna not think we were cool enough for her party?